Continuity between iPad 3 and iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by nheilweil, Jun 18, 2014.

1. nheilweil macrumors 6502a

nheilweil

Anyone get continuity working between an iPad 3 and iPhone 5S on Beta 2 (never tried on beta 1)?

What exactly needs to be done to get it set up initially? Once it is set up, is there anything special that needs to be done to use it? I've read about swiping left from the multi-tasker...what's that all about?

2. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

I think you're thinking of handoff, which is where you can type an email or something on one device and finish it on another. Also, I'm pretty sure that this feature is only between iDevices and Macs. I don't think you can go from an iPhone to an iPad.

3. nheilweil thread starter macrumors 6502a

nheilweil

Handoff is one of Apple's "continuity" features and is between apps, like email, and is also supported between iPad and iPhone, and is a function of the app.

But I'm referring to a different part of Continuity (not sure what it's called) for doing things like answering a call on your iPad because it's nearby. Or your iPad nailing up an on-demand hotspot from your iPhone.

According to Apple it's magic, but I'm suspecting there's something I'm missing.

4. Sethp macrumors member

i've tried to get this working between an iphone 4S and an iPad 2 to no avail I wonder if the iOS devices need to have the same wifi hardware that makes them airdrop compatible for handoff between two iOS devices to work.

5. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

I think that feature is dependent on Bluetooth 4.0 LE. If one of the devices don't have it, then your SOL.

6. Shuri macrumors 6502

yep, but actually the iPad 3 and the 5S both have Bluetooth LE.

Interestingly the iPad 3 also didn't get AirDrop, which can be opened by a jailbreak tweak.

7. Sethp macrumors member

My bad, the ipad 2 doesn't have bluetooth 4.0

but still The new ipad/ipad 3 and 5s it should work between if its dependent on bluetooth 4.0

8. nheilweil thread starter macrumors 6502a

nheilweil

Actually I can't get any of the handoff features to work either, like for mail, for instance. Hmmm.

9. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

I wonder if it is because of the god awful if A5X processor then?

10. TomH TX macrumors regular

I never was able to get handoff working between an iPhone 5 and an ipad3 using b1 or b2. :( However, today I installed b2 on my iPad air, and WAS finally able to get handoff to work between the iPhone 5 and the iPad air. I made a phone call by pressing a phone number on a webpage on the iPad air. It made the correct connection, and completed the call!!! Woohoo!:D

11. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

The devices you are tying to use continuity with must have airdrop. It's apples way to get you to buy new things.