iPhone Continuity / Call

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by perkedel, Jan 26, 2015.

1. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I'm using iPhone 6 plus/8.1.2 and MBA 2014/10.10.1.
    At home, I can answer/call from my Mac, works fine, no problems here. Both devices connect to the same WiFi router.

In my office, I notice that when I get a call, I'd hear it on my iPhone, and see it on my Mac. However, answering on the Mac would get an error.
    I suspect the cause is that I have two network connection on the Mac, combination of WiFi and Thunderbolt/Gigabit, each connection has its own public IP addresses. The iPhone is connected to this same Apple Airport Express as the Mac, so it shares the same WiFi network.

Anyone has this similar set up? Yes I could unplug the Thunderbolt/Gigabit adapter, it's nicer to have it for file transfer.

2. Command macrumors regular

Command

I have to agree - if you're access 2 different public IP for Internet, the Ethernet connection will take precedence for web and whatever. The call rings and detects using Bluetooth but the voice goes over WiFi. Now, it'll work if you have WiFi and Ethernet connected to the same network but with yours being different, it seems culprit. Especially since it works at home.
    I'd try pulling the cabled and running WiFi for just a test call or something to verify. If that's the case, you'd probably have to change your network set up.

3. BL4zD macrumors 6502

I've never been able to get mine working at home or at work. I gave up trying.

4. perkedel thread starter macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I decided to just keep the wireless turned off to prevent confusion between the devices. Handoff for Safari still works, though I rarely use it. Well, it's not a big deal to me.