Continuity iPhone to iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Manatlt, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

Okay I know the continuity can work from iPhone to Mac, iPhone to iPod Touch and iPhone to iPad...

But can you also receive calls and texts from your primary iPhone to another iPhone? (Basically iPhone to iPhone)

Sorry if this question has been answered before...because I can't find it.

2. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

3. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I assume it's just iOS device to iOS device, so it should work.

4. Serban Suspended

for a call will not work because you will have carrier conflict

----------

but for the rest that not include your number it should work because are based on your Apple ID

5. Fenderf4i macrumors member

Why should there be a carrier conflict? It should act like any other iOS device, it goes through the phone receiving the call. Nothing to do with the carrier on the other device, wether it has a cellular connection or not.

6. Serban Suspended

you have 2 iphones so 2 distinct numbers? when somebody calls you on 1 number how can this reach the second number ??

7. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

There shouldn't be a carrier conflict. Continuity is done over Bluetooth, not the cell network, so there shouldn't be an issue.

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

It would act just as it already does when you get a second call.

9. Manatlt thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

This doesn't make sense, another iPhone has it's own number, they aren't going to make it so you can answer someone else's phone calls on a different iPhone. Plus people would exploit this and try to share one line on multiple phones.

I don't even know how exactly you would expect this to work if it could?

11. Manatlt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why are you just thinking of that scenario? What if I have two iPhones? What if one of the iPhones has no SIM inserted? (Which then becomes an iPod Touch).

12. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Because the iPhone is not the same as an iPod Touch, they only expect you to have one of each product. Continuity from an iPhone to another iPhone doesn't make sense as it is assumed that the other iPhone belongs to another person with their own different number. It could work if Apple allows it but I can see why they might not.

13. Manatlt thread starter macrumors 6502a

By the way, how can they assume that the other iPhone belongs to another person, when it has my iCloud account logged in to it? It's like Find My iOS, all devices connected to the same iCloud account belongs to me.

Surely Apple must know that iPhone belongs to me, even though it has a different number. iMessage and FaceTime does the exact same thing.

People can have 2 numbers you know?

14. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I agree that it makes more sense for this to work than it would for this not to work. I also have two iPhones (one for work and one for home) with two separate numbers, but everything else (iMessages, FaceTime, Find my iPhone, etc etc) syncs just fine in spite of the fact that I have two of the same device on my iCloud account. In fact it's quite common for people two have two phones (usually iPhones) where I'm from.

15. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Because it's an iPhone, if it was one of your secondary devices it would be an iPod Touch. They don't want people getting confused and answering someone else's call. What if someone gave a family member or friend their old phone to use and then they could answer your calls from a different phone?

Or if you have two different numbers for something like work and personal, you would be getting all of the calls mixed together on one iPhone.

Also why would Apple expect people to use two iPhones at once, you only need one. If you need two then it probably has it's own number.

16. Manatlt thread starter macrumors 6502a

If this is true, why can I answer primary iPhone's FaceTime calls, FaceTime audio calls AND see and respond to iMessages on my 2nd iPhone when my Apple ID is linked?

For this to happen, it should be no exception really for continuity to work iPhone to iPhone because it's basically the same idea.

Then disconnect your iCloud account on your 2nd iPhone.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if someone is calling you to your primary number, on your 2nd iPhone or any iOS device, it will say "xxxxx is calling you on your iPhone". They'll probably re-write that on your 2nd iPhone to avoid confusion. But it's possible for Apple to get rid of that confusion.

Stop speaking for everyone including me. I have 3 numbers, 2 UK, 1 US. All linked up to my Apple ID.

And again, this "if you have two, each one has a number" argument is thrown out of the window when I can answer my primary iPhone FaceTime Audio calls on my 2nd iPhone.

17. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

But your iPhones share an Apple ID, that is different than sharing a SIM card.

18. Manatlt thread starter macrumors 6502a

....?

You are not sharing a SIM card. You are sharing your numbers to all iOS devices. Look at the attachment (image) below for what happens with FaceTime that shows on all of my iPhones and my iPad (same thing applies to iMessage).

What continuity would do now, is that I can answer non-FaceTime audio calls on my 2nd iPhone, which is more convenient for me. If you personally don't like this option, you can turn it off like you can with FaceTime and iMessage right?

Attached Files:

19. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

I guess it could work, but only if Apple allows it. We won't know until they enable it.

20. Big Dawg 23 macrumors regular

I am hope this will work now that I am going to an 5s for work while I have 5 for my personal line.

21. SethBoy macrumors regular

Now that iOS 8 is out, can anyone confirm how Continuity works with multiple iPhones?

22. subjonas macrumors 6502a

Yes, if you have Yosemite and two iPhones with iOS 8 under the same Apple ID, could you please confirm whether or not this works?