Continuity question

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Jordan246, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Jordan246 macrumors regular

Jordan246

Will the iPad 2/3 be able to make phone calls and send text messages

2. justinthesommer macrumors regular

justinthesommer

I was thinking about the same thing... Same questions except for iPad Mini? Thanks

3. oldmacs macrumors 68040

iPad Mini yes - according to Apple it gets full continuity. However the 2 and 3 don't get full continuity, however I believe that the 2 and 3 do get SMS and Phone call relay as the 4S does. SMS/Phone relay are not dependent upon bluetooth, as I believe one forum member has it working between his 4S and 2010 Macbook Pro, neither of which have the correct bluetooth/wifi for handoff.

4. BillyBobBongo, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

From Apple's website - http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/continuity/

"Continuity features are available on iPhone 5 or later, iPad (4th generation), iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad mini with Retina display, and iPod touch (5th generation).
    Additional charges may apply when using your device’s cellular network."

That said my iPhone 4S isn't on the list, yet I'm able to make calls from my MacBook Air using it. What is however no longer working for me in the GM is sending SMS messages using my laptop, it was working fine during the previous Beta version.

5. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I read that but have since had confirmation that SMS relay and Phone replay work with the 4S and iPad 2/3. I'm thinking by continuity features they mean Handoff.

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Continuity = handoff.

SMS relay will work on any device running iOS 8 or Yosemite signed into iMessage. Call forwarding will work on any device running iOS 8 or Yosemite signed into FaceTime.

From my testing, neither require bluetooth 4.0 to function, and actually work with bluetooth disabled.

7. freemannnn macrumors member

i tried it and working. i can accept-make gsm calls through iphone fom my ipad2

8. oldmacs macrumors 68040

YES! YES! YES!

How is iOS 8 performance on your iPad in general?

9. Solver macrumors 6502a

We can make calls from our iPad 3 using our iPhone 5 using iOS 8 GM :)

10. oldmacs macrumors 68040

What about SMS? Or has that been disabled for all devices by Apple?

11. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Well, from what I understand, Handoff is part of Continuity as is SMS relay. Handoff is being able to start a document or email on one device and pick it up on another. SMS & call relay is also part of Continuity but not specifically Handoff. So Continuity is the umbrella feature, parts of which are available to some but not all devices.

But SMS & call relay do not need BT4, that is correct. I don't think being able to take the calls on your computer is called call forwarding though. I think it's just a subset of relay. I could be wrong. :)

12. justinthesommer macrumors regular

justinthesommer

Excellent. Thank you!