Continuous Beeps From My MacBook Air.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DuganRun, Oct 19, 2013.

1. DuganRun macrumors newbie

My 2009 SSD MacBook Air has started to continuously beep when I attempt to power up, the only way I can get it to start is by long pressing the power button which overrides the beeps and starts the MacBook as normal. It does this about once a week and it's been doing it for about 2 months now, any ideas? thanks in advance.

2. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Beeps are typically indicative of a failing part in the system, often ram.

I'd suggest doing an SMC reset and an NVRAM reset on the system.

SMC you do by unplugging all cables save for the Magsafe cable, shutting the system down. Press (left side of keyboard) shift, option, command, and power. Wait 5 seconds, then hit power.

To reset NVRAM, on bootup hold command, option, p, r. You'll hear the POST sound as the system boots up, the screen will go black, and you'll hear it POST again. I typically reset the NVRAM 3 or 4 times before I let the system boot all the way up.

If the symptom persists after doing the SMC and NVRAM reset, make sure you've run all software updates. If it persists after that, I suggest you take the system to your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. As always, backing up your data is critical, so make sure you do that ASAP.