Continuous kernel panic in Leopard 10.5.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markiv810, Nov 10, 2008.

1. markiv810 macrumors regular

Since yesterday I have not been able to boot normally into Leopard. I had just switched of my ADSL modem and the computer froze after that it never boots in normal mode. I am in safe mode, the audio does not work in safe mode, everything is working. I am attaching the crash report in text format, hope somebody would be able to help. I did try to boot after removing all the peripherals, also tried to reinstall but the computer does not accept the install disk , just ejects them. I am in real trouble now, suggestions are welcome. Thanks again. I am using a PowerPC machine specs PowerMac G5 1.6ghz with 1.25 GB RAM running OS X 10.5.5

Attached Files:

2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

That is definitely not a kernel panic log. That's a log of SystemUIServer crashing because of a menu extra.

3. markiv810 thread starter macrumors regular

How do I find out which plugin/menu extra I would have to remove. The audio does not work in safe mode but I do here the chime when the mac boots. I am also not able to boot using a dvd, wonder what would cause that. I do have growl installed maybe thats the cause, I would try and disable all the extra stuff I have and then but in normal mode. Hopefully things would work out then.

4. markiv810 thread starter macrumors regular

My issue got resolved by removing the ntfs-3g plugin which I had upgraded without uninstalling (removing) the older version. The PowerMac is acting up again, and only boots into safe mode, surprisingly the Leopard Install DVD also boots only in safe mode otherwise it does not go beyond the Blue Screen. I have the Apple Service Diagnostic CD version 2.5.7, which boots fine (in the normal mode) and I conducted all the 93 tests available on the Apple Service Diagnostic CD and my PowerMac G5 passed all the 93 tests. I have noticed one more thing that my SONY SuperDrive is a bit choosy when it comes to accepting DVDs, it no longer accepts the Original 10.2.8 that shipped with the PowerMac G5 or the Tiger DVD, it's only accepting the Leopard Install DVD. The sound also does not work in the safe mode, I have tried archive and install the problem persists and repairing persmission using onyx and there are no problems with permission settings apparently. I downloaded Yellow Dog Linux to see whether the Yellow Dog Linux dvd boots but the mac could not read the DVD and saw it as an empty disc (I burnt the iso image of Yellow Dog Linux DVD on Linux, but I don't think that should be a problem). Please help, where should I be looking for errors.

5. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

When you start up in safe mode, the sound is not supposed to work. That Chime you hear at the start is called a POST (Power On Self Test) which means that all the hardware is ok.

I'd suggest removing all your login items, and the startup folder (i think its in ~/Library/Startup )

Goto Sys Prefs -> Accounts -> Login and remove all startup items. Try booting normally.

6. markiv810 thread starter macrumors regular

I removed everything only the iTuneshelper is in the login items, I would check the ~/Library/Startup later today. I am not able to understand the reason why the Leopard Install DVD only works in the Safe Mode and the Apple Service Diagnostic CD can work in the normal more. For a moment I thought the Logic Board had issues but after the PowerMac G5 passed all the hardware test I am a bit puzzled. I wanted to downgrade to Tiger but cannot do so as the PowerMac does not recognize the Tiger DVD.

I would remove the login items from ~/Library/Startup if there are any. Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Just check the /Library/StartupItems folder an it's empty and also looked for ~/Library/StartupItems and it does not exist. Could it be that the logicboard is fried despite the PowerMac G5 passing all the tests in the Apple Service Diagnostic CD.