Contomplating getting another PowerMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Feb 1, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I am heavily debating getting another PowerMac in the future I am thinking between a B&W G3 to a iMac G5. I would opt for a PowerMac G5 however those are not cheap. Mainly for Tinker machines and backups. My budget is low i cant afford anything more than 100 bucks shipped. What is the best kind of mac to look for in that range? most G5s in that price range dont even work same with Mac Minis. I would also consider a iBook G3 Clamshell or a iBook G4 if i can get one for a decent price. What is the best GPU for a B&W G3? how do the Sawtooth compare to the B&W (Considering that they are pretty much the same design other than colour) How does the QuickSilver compare to the MDD? is the "YIKES!" G4 the Sawtooth or is that a different model?

I wouldn't mind a Mac Mini for a Internet Sharing Computer. Is there a Ralink RT2870 driver for PowerPC Macs?

EDIT: I have read that the B&W and the Sawtooth (?) use standard ATX Power Supples?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The best GPU for the B&W G3 is a flashed GeForce 5200. The Sawtooth is not the same as a B&W G3 in a different case. It is an AGP based PowerMac and is more capiable than a B&W. The Yikes is very similar to the B&W G3, but with a G4 CPU and a different coloured case. The Yikes model came out between the B&W G3 and the Sawtooth.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

You're going in 30 different directions with this post. What Mac do you want exactly? If you're just looking for the most power under $100 then you should go for a PowerBook G4. You're getting more cash to spend on the computer as the shipping will be half of less than that of a PowerMac. If you want a PowerMac for under $100 shipped, then just keep your eyes open. Anything can be had for any price if you look long enough.

My advice, pick the model you want and keep your eyes peeled. You'll find a good deal. If you have $100 burning a hole in your pocket and you're going to buy something within the next week, then hit up ebay and pick out what you like.

4. Orizence macrumors 6502

If youre willing to take a gamble you could always buy a Powermac that is not working or as-is and try to fix it up, Thats how I got my Powerbook which im currently typing this up on. Alot of "broken" Powermac G5s I see from computer recycling shops are actually working they are either missing their air baffles, or the seller tried bringing them back to factory specs like 512mb of ram without installing it in matched pairs (ie: using on 512mb stick instead of two 256mb sticks) therefore making the machine not boot and being sold for cheap.

Just my two cents. All my powerbook needed was a new wall adapter and I got it for $40

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Nice. My 12" iBook G4 was labeled as "unknown if works". Got it for $30 and it just needed a power adapter as well. The battery even holds a charge!

That being said it is not always something simple like that. However, more often than not it is.

6. weckart macrumors 68040

Almost all of mine were bought like that. I recently acquired 9 various Powerbooks and a Macbook Pro in that condition for the princely sum of £16. I have got half of those up and running already and reckon a couple more just need a bit of judicious soldering or the heat gun treatment. Not bad for virtually free.

7. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

If i got a laptop I'd Prefer a iBook G4 as those are what I'm acustomed too. I learned how to use Mac OS X on 1.25GHz iBook G4s and 1GHz eMac's. both running Panther. That is part of the reason i got a eMac to begin with. However I do wonder: How come the PowerBook G4 has 1.62GHz option but the iBooks and the PowerMacs bottom out at 1.42?