Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas
I went to a new Apple Store in Ft.Worth a few days ago and saw this new metal bluetooth headset from Contour. It is the same size as the Apple one but Metal and is only $79.95.... It comes with a a lot of accessories and even a little clip holster to put on your belt. The quality is fantastic. No static whatsoever. It comes with all kinds of fittings too for all types of ears. For the money and what you get along with quality, I believe this is the best one yet for the iPhone. The battery last longer and the range is a 100 times better. I can finally keep my phone in my pocket with no static. here is the link to check it out... http://www.contourcase.com/bluetooth/metal/

Also, they make the perfect soloution for handsfree in the car product I also got that was only $99 and it is called Surface Sound Compact Kit that is already at most Apple stores if you can find them....
http://www.contourcase.com/bluetooth/ssc/

ahcl20

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
I lost my Apple iPhone Bluetooth headset and looking into the Contour Design Metal as a replacement.

They look very similar and it's also £10 cheaper that the Apple ones.

Anyone has the Metal to give us a short review?

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

ahcl20 said:
I lost my Apple iPhone Bluetooth headset and looking into the Contour Design Metal as a replacement.

They look very similar and it's also £10 cheaper that the Apple ones.

Anyone has the Metal to give us a short review?

I love my metal headset. It is way better than the Apple version. I can actually keep my phone in my pocket and have no static. In fact, I haven't had any static at all. It fits better than the apple one which is a plus. It comes with all types of fittings for ur ear size and a clear thing that fits around the ear if u like that fit better. What I really like to is that it comes with a holder that you attatch to your belt so when ur not using it u just pop it in there. I also recomend the contour speaker thing for the car. That works awesome as well

selena12321

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2008
I have seen contour silicone case but headset is too pretty.

Last edited by a moderator:

johndawg1973

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
red light while charging?

I bought this headset yesterday and I think it's awesome...

However, I have no idea if it's charging or not and the directions in the manual are horrible. All it says is that there should be a red light on while charging and that it will go off when done.

I've yet to see a red light while charging and I seriously doubt that it comes fully charged out of the box and after 4 hours of use.

I wonder if I bought a dud... hmm...

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I just picked this up today, based on this thread. The wife wanted my old Jawbone, and with a beard on my face, it never really worked the way it was supposed to anyway. I picked up the METAL, and so far, I'm liking this a lot. I need to use it for a few day to really get a solid opinion, but so far, it's pretty cool. $80 isn't too bad for it either. I did notice the Apple one now comes without a dock for $99, but the ear piece is so bulbous, I didn't want to chance it. I hate their earbuds, so I'm pretty certain they feel the same.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
After using this earpiece for a couple of weeks now, I can say I love it. It's so small and light, you hardly notice it in your ear. It fits inside your ear canal so well, you don't need the ear hook they give you with it, unless you use the additional ear piece so it rests on the ear opening, and not in the canal.

The sound of it is great. Nice and clear, and the volume is great.

The only issue I've come across is that a few people have told me I sound like I'm muffled or in a cave when I speak. The audio quality is not as good as my Jawbone.

For what it's worth, I'll let people hear me a bit muffled for the comfort and clarity in my ear.

Seriously guys, if you're in the market, this is a good choice.

ahcl20

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
The USB connector that came with mine stopped working after one charge. So I had it mailed back to Contour Designs and still awaiting them to post a replacement back.

Otherwise it is a funky tiny gadget. Not very good with video calls on iChat though...

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
For those of you that have had it for a few months now, what are your "long-term" impressions?

I have been contemplating getting the new, smaller jawbone to replace the apple headset I loved but just could not deal with bc of the reception issues. Now, it seems as if I am going to have to get one sooner rather than later bc of reception and just safety. People constanly complain bc of the gsm buzzing going on. On top of that, it can get kind of old holding our flat phone up to your head in bumper to bumper traffic shifting gears. :D

So, I am back on the market and this one caught my eye bc it is discreet and not gaudy.

Are you long time users of the metal still enjoying it or are you contemplating about putting it up on the bay?

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
For those of you that have had it for a few months now, what are your "long-term" impressions?

I have been contemplating getting the new, smaller jawbone to replace the apple headset I loved but just could not deal with bc of the reception issues. Now, it seems as if I am going to have to get one sooner rather than later bc of reception and just safety. People constanly complain bc of the gsm buzzing going on. On top of that, it can get kind of old holding our flat phone up to your head in bumper to bumper traffic shifting gears. :D

So, I am back on the market and this one caught my eye bc it is discreet and not gaudy.

Are you long time users of the metal still enjoying it or are you contemplating about putting it up on the bay?

I'm still very happy with it. I did a more detailed review of it on a blog.

Contour Metal Review

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Well, I just picked one up.

My intial thought after pulling it out was, I sure hope this works out because I am diggin the design.

I paired it with the phone and made a test call and no static. Oh, and it fits great unlike the apple on that I was so fond of. I still miss that one for some reason.

I think I will end up liking this one alott. It has volume adjustments conviently located on the outside which is nice bc most people talk normal but every now and then you get a loud mouth. :D I think that feature is much nicer than to reach for the phone.

Oh, and it comes with a usb charger for the car which is nice to charge it or the phone. Definately a plus.

unlocknokia.us

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2009
PA. now but lived in AL.
Well, I bought the bluetooth because I'm always looking for smaller and better and this one just couldn't be beat in my eyes. I have about 5 different BT's but this one is the only one I own that actually does fit inside the ear. I had it in my ear for about 2 hours and it's like it isn't even in there. It has almost no weight at all. I have mine connected to a Sony Ericsson Z750A and I had to turn the volume down on the phone. It is loud with the phone model I have which is a good thing. 1/2 volume is perfect and the clarity is crystal. The size of it is what sold me and also the fact of knowing that if I didn't like it within 14 days, I could get my money back from Apple.

I have tried it with the phone on my right side in it's case with the BT on the left and got very little static. I moved the phone over to the left side and no static at all. The charging was a bit complicated at first but now I have it figured out. I feel like a wall plug should have came with it but if my laptop is on standby, it charges it and I also can charge it in the car.

It takes just a little getting used to, having it in your ear but after about 20 min, you almost forget about it being there. I wished the answer button was away from the other two buttons but it's not a big deal for something so small and light weight. It (or mine) did come out of the box completely dead and only took maybe an hour in my car to be fully charged. The female voice coming through it sounds more clearer than a mans deeper voice. All in all for the size, looks and sound quality, I really do like it and I have tried many BT's and own different brands. I own the Blue Ant Micro and this one has it beat. I own the Nokia BH-600 and this one has it beat. I own a Motorola H-500 and this one has it beat and I also have a Nokia BH-200 and this one has it beat in all aspects. No hook needed and extremely discreet and light weight, I love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.