Contract ends in October, want an iPhone 6 in September

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Batman89, Sep 4, 2014.

  1. Batman89 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    #1
    I want to be able to pre-order (or try to) an iPhone 6 as soon as that pre-order window is open. However, my upgrade date is not until October 12th, which is when my current contract with Verizon expires. I am considering either switching to ATT, staying with Verizon, or even buying the phone off-contract.

    What are my options, and what's the best way to go about this? Will Verizon bump up my upgrade by a month if I pay my last month ahead of time?

    Can I sign a new contract with ATT when I pre-order the phone, have the phone be subsidized, and simply pay off the last month of the Verizon contract? If so, how does the porting of my phone number work?

    Would it make more sense to pay full retail for the phone, and simply not activate it until October? If so, would I get a smaller monthly payment since I'm bringing in my own phone?

    Or is there a better way of going about this situation? The reason why my contract ends October 12th was I (stupidly) did not pre-order an iPhone5 two years ago and was not able to get my hands on one until mid October.

    Would definitely not like to repeat that same mistake again!!
     
  2. saving107 macrumors 603

    saving107

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location:
    San Jose, Ca
    #2
    People really need to stop freaking out and at least wait until Sept 9 when Apple official announces the product, pricing and when carriers will announce their upgrade procedures.

    Prior to the iPhone 5s carriers would move up all dates if you were within a certain time frame.

    People are freaking out because the iPhone 5 was released on Sept 21 and this year the rumored release date is Sept 19. Yeah, the carriers know and they are working to resolve that issue and I highly doubt it that they will through a fit over 1-2 days.
     
  3. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2011
    Location:
    Sunshine State
    #3
    Here's a crazy idea. Wait until you're eligible for the upgrade. What's a month? Apple's gonna make eleventy gazillion of them. You'll be able to get one. Who cares if your friends get one before you.
     
  4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

    The-Real-Deal82

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2013
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #4
    Wait a month for your contract to expire, or pay if off. You shouldn't need advice on this and beware of the fact you might not get an iPhone 6 in the first batch if its overly popular.
     
  5. Newtons Apple Suspended

    Newtons Apple

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2014
    Location:
    Jacksonville, Florida
    #5
    Options are limited. Either wait a month or pay . . . . .
     
  6. mrmarts macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne Australia
    #6
    My contract ends on September 20 but my telco usually permits me 20 days to upgrade my handset without in-occurring any cancellation fees, maybe your telco has those options.
     
  7. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

    Aluminum213

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2012
    #7
    Are you seriously that impatient? It's just a phone and the one you're using now works perfectly
     
  8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2010
    #8
    Days of a "free"phone or subsidized phone are about over. Have you really checked your pricing options?

    The cost for me to get a 5s on our lines is the same as adding another line. $750 outright. $750 via Next. Or even more if we do contract via higher monthly line cost.

    There are no "deals".
     
  9. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2012
    #9
    I have a "dummy" line so I use that line every other year to upgrade. This year "my" line is due for an upgrage. It costs me about another 10-15 dollars a month. Not sure if I'm wasting money or not but I look at it this way. For what I pay for my phone and the additional line each year (about $480), I sell the phone after a year for about that total and then buy a new one. So it's worth it to me. Could I save a little with a different method? Maybe, but I'm ok with the way I do it.
     
  10. satchow macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2011
    #10
    Maybe I'm wrong here, but it seems like you're losing money by not just buying a new phone for $650 full price every other year.

    So I assume the $480 a year figure includes the $200 subsidized price for the phone so you're paying $280 a year for that dummy line. So over the course of two years you're paying $560 for the service on that line. So essentially the new phone costs you $760 every other year this way.
     
  11. nfl46 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2008
    #11
    Just wait the extra month. I don't think they will sell out the first weekend and continue to be sold out a MONTH later. Heck no!
     
  12. RyanG macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2007
    #12
    This is just devastating. I hope the OP figures out this catastrophic conundrum he's in.
     
  13. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2012
    #13
    The phone is $299. The extra line is $180/year. I clear that or a little more after selling it. So far the sale of the phone pays for the new phone, a case for the new phone and the cost of the additional line. Plus I keep the charger cable since it seems to make no difference in the resale value.
     
  14. af21187 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2012
    #14
    Sell the phone you have now to help pay your contract off early, if you are interested.

    You have a lot of questions in one post, I would recommend looking at your carriers' website for some of the answers, and Googling the rest.
     
  15. Tmal34 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2014
    #15
    Same problem as OP except my contract is up 9/28. Went to Verizon today over lunch and they told me to deal with it.

    Hopefully they come up with some sort of solution for the early Iphone 5 people or we will be waiting till Thanksgiving :(

    My 5 is on it's last legs too, this is only like 75% a first world problem.
     
  16. Mcfire12 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2014
    #16
    Same boat. My contract is up 10-19. The lady at verizon today tried selling me on the edge program. I haven't researched this enough. Not sure if that's the way to go or not?
     
  17. accountforit macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2014
  18. mgb1120 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2012
    #18
    The way the orders are getting backed up october will be fine to purchase one, atleast the 6 plus that is.
     

Share This Page