Contract free 3g iphone from switzerland?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by logicpro7, Jul 7, 2008.

1. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

As it looks like o2 in the UK are messing about on details about when the 3g iphone on pay & go will be released, could i order a non contract one from switzerland (£305 16gb) and use it in the uk?

Would it need to be unlocked to work in the UK?

Cheers.

2. sananda macrumors 68020

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

It would be in your best interest to unlock it, unless you'd rather pay the international roaming fees. But as for "ordering" one, you probably won't be able to seeing as Swisscom has no desire to ship to the UK...

Thing is that it has to be activated on someone's account, and they're probably not gonna let the same person with the same activation credentials buy a crapload of iPhones which they would probably sell on ebay. That would be a bit suspicious. You'd have to buy it yourself.

4. johnrs macrumors 6502a

I hear that in France they have to sell them unlocked. Why not get one from france???

I would guess that a standard o2 PAYG sim would not work on o2's 3G network??

5. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. frosse macrumors 6502a

Uhm what? You dont have to activate it since you jailbreak it, right? :rolleyes:

7. iWizzard macrumors regular

Does anyone know if you can go inte o a swizcom store and pick one up without signing annything?

If so I have the luck of having an uncle in Swizerland who´s wife is comming to Sweden (where I am) soon.

8. kis macrumors 65816

They were completely sold out about an hour after the shops opened last Friday - won't be getting new ones for general circulation until September, I heard. The ones that are trickling in are given to those who made reservations before July 11.

Anyway: yes, there were plenty of people from Germany, the Netherlands, Luxemburg etc. who bought iPhones in Swiss stores on Friday.

There are two options from Swisscom: either buy a pre-paid package (only available in official Swisscom shops) and unlock it or buy an unlocked one for CHF 899 / 1199 (8gb/16gb).

Orange doesn't offer a prepaid package but sells the phone without a contract - but that one's locked.

kis

9. kis macrumors 65816

because they cost 900 Euro and because they only work in France (country-lock) without unlocking them?

10. kis macrumors 65816

Not true - there's no in-store activation in Swisscom shops (only in partner shops). There were people from Germany buying 5 phones last Friday, despite the "1 phone per customer" policy.

peter

11. iWizzard macrumors regular

What does a pree paid package cost?

Can I just get NATEL easy liberty uno and trow away thos papers/sim card?

CHF 899 / 1199 (8gb/16gb) is absurd. CHF 619 for 16GB is an ok price.

/me want US 1:st gen prices back....

12. kis macrumors 65816

The Prepaid package costs 619.- for the 16gb version. According to Swiss law you need to register for your SIM-card but nobody forces you to use it - so yes, you can throw it away. Just do yourself a favor and don't sell it to anyone - since it's registered to you that could get you into trouble if the person you sell it to is a crook.

All Swisscom phones (except for the 1199 CHF ones) are operator-locked (meaning they'll work with any Swisscom SIM-card).

If you want to use it in Sweden, you'll have to unlock the phone.

kis

13. iWizzard macrumors regular

Greate thanks for the info, unlocking it is a given, would do it eaven if I bought it from Telia in Sweden sins there dataplan is to expencive.