Contract Free iPhone 5 - Where and how much?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Category 5, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Category 5 macrumors member

I'm not eligible for a subsidized upgrade, so rather than extend my contract I'd like to get a contract free 64 GB white iPhone 5. Now where do I find it? Are they not for sale without contract yet? Apple site makes me select a contract to go through the order process no matter what i do.

I saw reference to a $700 price tag for the 64GB somewhere but can't remember where. Did I dream it?

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

An unlocked (contract free) 64GB iPhone would run $849 + applicable taxes at an AT&T or Apple Store – but I'm not sure they're doing device only purchases yet. You could go on eBay, but expect to shell out $1000-1400 in that case.

3. a.y.n macrumors regular

a.y.n

Short answer: Apple stores. 649/749/849 before tax.

Read the iPhone reservation threads for more info on how to get one with the current online reservation system.

4. a.y.n macrumors regular

a.y.n

Also, if you're on AT&T you might be better off switching to Verizon and paying ETF. money and service wise. :)

5. zeyank macrumors member

It will most likely be a few more weeks (at least) before Apple starts selling carrier unlocked iPhones in their stores. That being said, if you purchase an AT&T iPhone at full price from an Apple Store or AT&T, it looks like that they can be unlocked by restoring it using iTunes.

6. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

If you like Verizon, they have a month to month iphone at full price if interested. No contract

7. Category 5 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip. I want to stay with ATT because I use voice/data simultaneously quite a lot.

Will stop by the Apple store and ask them to order me one.