Contract or unlocked UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oldcelt, Aug 10, 2016.

1. oldcelt macrumors 6502

In the past have always got a contract phone from EE. Thinking about whether to get unlocked from Apple. Any thoughts on advantages/ disadvantages???

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Will be going sim free from now on. Save more over two years and resell value is good

3. Kiimora macrumors 6502a

Kiimora

I buy unlocked directly from Apple, which from experience amplify the resale value. Buyers mostly prefer unlocked phone procured from Apple which addresses the issue of the phone getting locked to a particular or first SIM card

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Put together a spreadsheet including all the variables and see which one works out best for you over the period of time you intend to keep the phone. I have always bought unlocked because of the good value SIM only plans available in the UK. Unlimited voice and messaging is pretty standard but you got to carefully check the available data on most of those plans and compare it to what you actually use. If you desire to use your phone data plan with a laptop it is another important element since some plans do not allow it.

I was surprised for example that BT who now own EE had a better sim only data plan but did not allow tethering when I was researching SIM only plans a while back.

5. jon8214 macrumors regular

BT now allow teathering

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

That is good to know. I took an EE plan which only had 6 Gbps with much more available on BT for the same price but I really needed the tethering. Will have another look at BT when my plan is due for renewal in a few months. From my experience EE has the best network in terms of availability and speed but with BT using the same network no issue for me.

7. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I always go contract but buy phones all the time so when my current EE contract ends I'm going to go to one of those sim only 30 day plans and just keep buying phones as usual.

8. BLUEBLASTER macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

I thought about this but when I did the math it worked out slightly cheaper for me to get the phone on contract.