Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J273

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Now the payg iphone is planned for later this year...im thinking of going the contract route.

Do you think the phone will be locked to the contract o2 sim ?.....not allowing me to use my o2 payg sim in the handset.

Im thinking of getting the phone not using the contract sim and
just using my payg sim.

Ive done this before,bought a contract phone buy used my PAYG sim on the handset.

Do you think itll be different with the iphone?

Thanks

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
...But why would you not want to use the contract sim that sounds crazy!

I am hoping i can buy an unwanted upgrade (as they want to use there 1st Gen iPhone) on Ebay and use my 02 Simplicity...so i would like to know how that would work.

:cool:

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
UK
First of all, I am pretty sure any o2 sim will work in the iPhone, as it is locked to the network, not the sim. This is what i think anyway, so correct me if i am wrong. i.e. you could put a simplicity sim in a pay & go iphone.

Second of all. Why on earth would you want to pay at least £30/month for the iphone, then not use what you get free on that contract?! That seems like such false economy. You will be paying for free calls, free texts, and importantly, unlimited data! And not using any of it. Seems very strange to me.

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
So you'd rather be paying £30 + a month for nothing, then pay on top of that for the payg costs, don't think you can suddenly give up the contract, one you sign it's legally binding i.e. your paying whatever contract you choose for 18 months

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
First of all, I am pretty sure any o2 sim will work in the iPhone, as it is locked to the network, not the sim. This is what i think anyway, so correct me if i am wrong. i.e. you could put a simplicity sim in a pay & go iphone.

Second of all. Why on earth would you want to pay at least £30/month for the iphone, then not use what you get free on that contract?! That seems like such false economy. You will be paying for free calls, free texts, and importantly, unlimited data! And not using any of it. Seems very strange to me.

Great minds...

I am still so angry about o2 and PAYG!!

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
UK
Great minds...

I am still so angry about o2 and PAYG!!

I am on simplicity at the moment, but intended on getting a new iPhone contract anyway. I think the unlimited data is worth it, and not having to fork out at least £299 (if the prices leaked were correct) is definitely leaning me towards a contract. But I can see why simplicity would be great. lots of only £15/month. Its just the pay & go price putting me off.

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
I am on simplicity at the moment, but intended on getting a new iPhone contract anyway. I think the unlimited data is worth it, and not having to fork out at least £299 (if the prices leaked were correct) is definitely leaning me towards a contract. But I can see why simplicity would be great. lots of only £15/month. Its just the pay & go price putting me off.

There is NO PAYG option so it is a contract for you then i guess.

I do not like the commitment of Contract and i like the benefits im getting with Simplicity!

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
UK
There is NO PAYG option so it is a contract for you then i guess.

I do not like the commitment of Contract and i like the benefits im getting with Simplicity!

I know there is no pay & go option. I was always intending to get a new contract with the iPhone 3G. I was just stating I am on simplicity now, but wont be as soon as I can get the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.