Contract prices 2g -> 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iwhat???, Feb 4, 2009.

1. iwhat??? macrumors member

I posted this in someone else's thread, but did not get any replies. Please provide any information possible.

I am relatively new to the iphone changes, but when the 3G launched how much did the original iphone owners who were still under contract have to pay to get the 3G version? Did the original iphone owners have to sell their original phone on their own (ebay,etc.), or were they able to trade it into the ATT store for some credit?

Thanks

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

The owners of the iPhone 1st gen paid for the subsidized price of $199 and $299 respectively for the 8GB and 16GB. As to returning their iPhone 1st gen to AT&T for credit - never and won't happen. My advice is to sell to some friend of yours, pass it to a relative, or do eBay/craigslist.

3. iwhat??? thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that info Rayfire. I have decided to wait for the next generation iphone as I don't require the latest and greatest, but since I've had my current Tmobile crappy phone for 2 years, what's another few months? (I hope it's just a few).

If we were able to return the 3g to ATT for some credit, I would consider getting the 3g now. I am too lazy to sell on ebay/CL. I understand this is speculation and new ATT agreements can come out when the next version launches, but from what you have told me I'd rather just wait.

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Yup, I would just recommend waiting for June(ish) or July(ish) for the new release.

Always a pleasure to help ;)

5. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

you can also keep it and use it as an ipod touch