contract question, really irritated.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iGaryMonnecka, Jun 18, 2010.

1. iGaryMonnecka macrumors member

Since I was not able to pre-order due to AT&T and Apple's joint venture down the *******, i could not get a phone shipped to my house. So, I thought, whatever, make the best of it and go camp out and have some fun. So im getting all pumped and ready and I called AT&T to confirm i can buy an iphone 4 if im an authorized user and 17. ( Yes i specifically asked that question.) I just called two more times and was told i cannot buy the phone even if I line up at 10 PM on the 23rd like I planned. Obviously AT&T doesnt care because they will just sell a phone to someone over 18. What really annoys me is that I could have purchased it fine online as planned without having to be 18 and signing a contract.

Sparknotes: im 17, cant buy iphone 4, so pissed, any help?

so i ask you, macrumors, the people i trust to get around any apple/at&t wall :D, how can i make this happen on launch day? can my dad pre fill out an authorization to extend the contract? anyone have any experience with this? or am i totally ****ed and have to cry all day thursday:p

2. fuzion macrumors 6502

If you're under the age of 18 you cannot enter a legally binding contract; the company would have no recourse to go after since you're not legally an adult.

Your best bet is to camp out, but have your dad meet you at the store when its your turn.

3. cowsrus macrumors 6502

i would just camp and, like the guy above me says, call your dad at 6 30 to come meet you up

I heard about one story where the guy called up at&t and asked what he needed to bring because he was 17 and they actually let him sign when he brought a photo id, and all these other papers that proved who he was etc etc and the apple store around the corner said the same thing was fine, however that was technically illegal, if you call again and ask to speak to the manager, theres a chance you could get the same deal

but again, the best bet is to camp with a friend, have your dad stop by on his way to work or something and be there with you for 30min-an hour (you really dont have to worry about looking 'uncool' you are camping out for a new gadget with a bunch of other apple lovers, face it were nerds regardless of parents being there or not :D)

4. iGaryMonnecka thread starter macrumors member

thought about that, but my dad has work and even though its flexible when he can get in there, he wont do it and ive been yelled at 3 times that this is just a phone. I know that's true, but it's something that makes me happy and im glad to spend my money on something ill use every day. I'm not embarrassed at all to say that i will be pretty upset if i have to wait until august to get an iphone 4. Also, before anyone says it, I DO pay my own phone bill and am paying for the new phone.

5. c2006 macrumors member

I'm assuming you're on a family plan. All your dad has to do is renew his contract before the 24th. Therefore, the entire contract should already be set in place and you would just be adding a line (as an authorized user) to his already signed contract.

Talk to AT&T about this first - in case I'm wrong, I don't want you to have to convince your dad to do something that's not going to work, then he likely won't help you again if you come up with another solution. But give it a try.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

7. iGaryMonnecka thread starter macrumors member

uhh thanks?

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Embrace it, trust me!

9. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Like @c2006 said -- can he authorize you as a user and re-up his contract? It *might* work for you to be able to pick up the phone. But I'm not 100% sure.

What's in August - do you turn 18?

10. iGaryMonnecka thread starter macrumors member

no, i'm just going to be away from july 4th-18th and im SURE it still wont be walk in walk out at that time.

and boxer, i do embrace it, I love being a kid, and i love high school. I just hate how that one year has to bite me in the ass soo much you know? It's like, what's the difference? i get it, but i dont, if that makes any sense at all.