Contract Renewal Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by callmemike20, Jun 18, 2010.

1. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I was wondering if, when I upgrade to iPhone 4, I will have to pay the 1 month advanced payment of my bill? When I started my contract, and when I added a line in the past, I had to pay a prorated amount for the month, plus the full bill for the following month (however, I still get billed every month, so if I cancel my service now, shouldn't I not have to pay my bill that's due next week?). I was wondering because I want to make sure I have the correct amount of money when I go and get my phone.

2. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

If you already have service set up and billing information hasn't changed, you won't have to worry. Sometimes they make you put a deposit down on your FIRST activation of service depending on your credit, but if you already have an account, they will just bill you later!
    Hope this helps

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

AT&T bills you later, including the upgrade/activation fee. If it's a new acct or new plan they bill you for prorated 1st mo. plus following month + fees.

4. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Wow, quick replies! Thanks guys.

That makes sense. I never actually upgraded a phone; I just added phones to my account for my family and they charged the 1 month fee then. I just feel like they are ripping me off sometimes because they say I am paying my bill in advance, but then I get billed at the next month anyway. So, for some reason, I think that they owe me a month.

5. Middiebear macrumors member

If you're billed in advanced and you decide to cancel, the cancellation date is always set to the last day of the billing cycle because the final bill is not pro-rated.

You can choose to cancel before the billing cycle closes, but don't expect a credit.

If you're still under contract and you cancel, your final bill will have the early termination fee. If you cancel and you're out of contract, the next bill you receive won't include any charges unless you went over in minutes, messages, or data.

6. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Ah ok. I don't plan on canceling anyway. It just kind of confuses me.