Contract Upgrade Confusion?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macduke, Oct 28, 2008.

1. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Hello all, I'm from the future! It's July 2009 and Apple just announced the iPhone Video! It comes out next month. It's pretty cool with it's video conferencing, built in digital TV tuner, and longer battery life; but enough about that. I'm confused about my contract upgrade eligibility. I bought an iPhone 3g back in Summer '08 and paid the $299 subsidized price for the 16gb. I received the subsidized price because I paid the full $599 for my 8gb first gen a little over two years ago. What I'm wondering is if I will get the subsidized price on the $199 32gb Video? Or do all subsidized 3g owners have to pay the full price? If we have to pay full price, won't that hinder iPhone sales? Surely Apple and AT&T wouldn't allow that to happen! I don't want to wait another year to upgrade. What do you think will happen when I go to pick one up next month?

(Ed note: I was just thinking about this today while reading the thread about the Canadian iPhone sales and their three year contracts and thought that this has the potential to turn into a firestorm next summer. So why not get the debate out of the way right now before things get too crazy? Seriously...what will they do? Does the iPhone follow traditional upgrade paths?)

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

That is up to the carrier.
    They can do what ever they want and you will do what they ask to get the latest technology.
    Be it paying an 'early upgrade fee' of say $100 + the cost of the new toy.
    to agreeing to a 3 year contract to get it and you get to 'gift' the 'old' 3g like the 2g people did when they got the 3g :p

Being you time traveled and know that :apple: may finally get the iPhone up to 2005 technology by late 2009 where is your copy of the sports almanac? :D

3. macduke thread starter macrumors 604

macduke

Well, for starters the Rays win the world series in 2008 and the Royals win the world series in 2009. I know, unbelievable, but true.

4. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

So, do we have copy & paste on the Iphone Video? :p