Contract vs unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by heisenberg123, Sep 21, 2014.

1. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

contract vs unlocked

I have always been a contract to contract phone buyer since 1998 I have been with the same carrier, I have always managed to complain well enough my monthly bill is acceptable to me so changing carriers has never been a concern that a 2 year contract would make me regret it during the 2 years.

what are peoples main reasons for buying the phone contract free vs contract

2. duaneu macrumors 6502a

On some carriers and plans, you pay less per month if you have a non-contract phone.

On AT&T and T-Mobile, your phone can also be unlocked. (all Verizon phones are unlocked regardless...likewise Sprint phones are locked even if you pay full price).

3. lke macrumors 6502a

contract free are unlocked iphones, you can use it when you travel with another sim.

If you don't plan to travel or if your company offer you good prices when you travel there is no reason to pay more money of a contract free iphone.

I like to choose 12 month plans because every year there are new iphones.

4. iphone5att64 macrumors 6502

Only get an unlocked phone if your carrier gives a discount for bringing your own device.

5. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thanks for the feedback I will have to see if my plan would be less if I have an unlocked phone

6. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I am thinking unlocked is the way to go for me

my early upgrade fee is $150, than my carrier (Rogers) says I need a new plan to get the 2 year substadize price, the new plan is essentially what I already have plus some more voice features(ie unlimited long distance) something I do not need, the new plan 30 more a month so in year one I would pay $150(EUF) and $30x12(new plan) $360

so $510 more money spent in the next 12 months which is more than the difference from substadized vs unlocked