Contradicting apples and no student discount

Discussion in 'iPad' started by felixen, Mar 21, 2012.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

Ever since the first iPad came out I have found it without any logic that the iPad wasn't sold with a student discount. To me it has always been a good device for school work. Light and easy to carry with me, and decent for taking notes and browsing the web too.

Then came the event of the iBooks 2 announcement. Here the iPad was displayed as the student's new best friend, it was praised that physical books should be replaced by digital ones and new note taking features showed why the iPad was perfect for school work. If it wasn't the case before, now students had finally become a stakeholder of the iPad. They were one group the device was directly marketed for.

So, really, why is the iPad not yet a part of the student discount program? It makes no sense to me. This is a case of hypocrisy.
    Or, is it just my often-one-step-behind country of Denmark that has a weaker student program than the US, for instance?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There is no student discount on the iPad. Why this is the case only Apple knows, and they're not likely to give you an answer any time soon.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Your "entitlements" do not extend into Apple ownership:p

4. alFR macrumors 68020

In the UK if you are at a university you can get a discount on it if you buy through the Apple higher education store for your institution. Not sure about elsewhere though.

5. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Once I graduated college and became a shareholder, I became quite opposed to :apple:'s student discount. :rolleyes:

Actually, I think my student discount steered me to :apple: in my post college life. Then again, my LC II was really expensive despite the discount. ;)

6. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

How do you figure?

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Because Apple is pushing the iPad as an education device, to be used by both teachers and students.

8. Gol27 macrumors regular

I went into the UK Regent Street store and got a 3% student discount with my university card, they said it was a newly implemented policy. Only worked out to about £20 saving on the 64GB + 4G, but can't complain really.

9. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

There is a student discount. But very minor. I saved £16 on my 32GB WiFi ordering online, but cant complain.

Apple do it for their Mac range to increase sales, whilst still maintaing huge profit margins. They have less incentive to do so with iDevices, as no matter what, they'll sell by the bucket load.

I'm sure schools that buy iPad's in bulk will probably get heavy discounts on an iPad 2.

10. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Competition.....or lack thereof.

Apple has discounts on desktops and laptops because there are much more viable alternatives and more people buy windows laptops and desktops than Macs.

With tablets, Apple doesn't have any competitors that customers are flocking to. This is why they don't offer discounts, and this is why they are trying to sue Android out of existence.

11. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

I've found that the computer store on campus occasionally offers student discounts on iPads, but it's at their discretion only.

12. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

This is why they kept the 2 around for a $100 discount, to make it more accessible to the education market.

13. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted

I got a corporate discount because I work for Disney. It wasnt much though $812 for 64gb AT&T.

14. erawsd macrumors 6502

The iPad is already sold at a budget price, and they've kept the iPad 2 around (which does everything a teacher/student needs) for $100 cheaper.

15. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

The iPad is far from a budget price.

A 16GB Playbook for £169 is budget, as is the overpriced Kindle Fire.

16. wharzhee macrumors 6502

i think there used to be one(not sure now), but they werent meant for individual purchases.
    it was more meant for the educational institute to buy them in bulks at a discounted rate, i think if your school rallied up to mass buy, then i think u can grab hold of the discounts (not sure if it exists anymore though)

17. CandyCane23049 macrumors regular

If a iPad was a budget price, I would've already gotten one.

18. erawsd macrumors 6502

Well, the playbook is only 199 because no one bought it when it was 499 or even 399. I never said the iPad was the cheapest thing on the market anyway. I'm sure companies like Coby are making plenty sub $150 tablets.

$399 or even 499 for a tablet computer of the iPad's quality/capabilities is definitely budget priced. Estimates suggest it costs Apple ~316 just to manufacture an iPad, toss in overhead costs and there isn't a lot of room to cut the price further.

19. palpatine macrumors 68040

given everything an ipad can do, i'd say even 499 is a budget price. most people spend more than that on cable tv each year, and i consider that to be a waste of money, especially with the amount of stuff available now on hulu plus for much less than you're paying any cable company.

but, you could always get the ipad 2 (a great product) at 399. that is so cheap, considering what it does.

and, if you really want to go budget, get an ipad 1 for less than 249 or so. the ipad 1 is superior to the kindle fire (in my opinion) and only 49 dollars more.

there are, of course, used ones available all over the place. i understand the desire for an academic discount (i would qualify, and would enjoy the savings), but it really isn't even that much, and apple has traditionally limited it to a very small range of items, so i wouldn't hold my breath.