Contrast of refurbished machine v latest model

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wkam, Dec 14, 2016.

1. wkam macrumors member

Hey everyone,

Like most people here, I've been looking at getting a new machine as a replacement for my 2010 15" MBP. As much as I like the latest model, the price hike on them has made me reconsider the other options there are in the market (such as XPS) but of course, my aim would be to remain in the Apple ecosystem if possible. The 2016 model I've been circling around is the 13" 2.9GHz 256GB SSD and increased 16GB RAM, which would cost around HK$15,500 (approx US$1,937).

But then, I was browsing through the Hong Kong Apple Refurbished page and came across this machine:

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 3.1GHz Dual-core Intel i7 with Retina Display
    Originally released March 2015
    13.3-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2560-by-1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch

16GB of 1866MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
    512GB PCIe-based flash storage
    720p FaceTime HD Camera

Intel Iris Graphics 6100

Priced at HK$13,488 (approx US$1,686)

My usage on a computer is mostly movies, TV shows, a bit of football manager gaming, word/excel work and perhaps occasional Photoshop work. With little knowledge on computer hardware, may somebody with experience help me understand the major differences in terms of the specs between the two models (graphics, CPU difference), and which machine would show better usage of my needs?

Thanks!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

The graphics on the new one are a nice boost with the 64mb eDRAM cache, other than that the only real differences are a far nicer brighter screen and TB3 USB c on the new ones, so if you want to use 4K 5k external screens or super fast storage or external GPU's in the future you might want that.