Control A/C remotely with iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ero87, Jul 24, 2010.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

I'd love to turn on my A/C with my iPhone when I'm on my way home so that my room is cool when I get back. Any suggestions? Can it be done?

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

i control my diabetes with my iPhone, i tell it when to give me insulin and whatnot. im sure it can be done. i also use the garage opener with my iPhone. works like a charm!

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You need to get a Zigbee or Wifi enable Thermostat (they are not cheap), that will allow you to set your temperature using a web portal.

here is one, you can do a quick search on Google and find some more.

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduct.cfm?productID=453062644&linkfrom=froogle

I am actually working on a small device that wireless enable light switches, receptacles, and thermostats and also working on a iPhone app to control those remotely, PM me if you are interested I would send you one when its ready for you to beta test it for me. (not really close to ready yet since it is just a side project for me and work is actually not leaving too much of a free time at the moment)

4. cirial macrumors regular

Google iPhone thermostat. You'll have plenty to look through

5. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

This is probably one of the coolest threads I have seen in light of all the iphone defect threads.

I too wish I could control my air with my iPhone, but the thermostat is about $300 and a little bit out of my price range.

6. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

Just make sure you don't hold it the "wrong way" when you're adjusting the temperature. :apple:

7. starbot macrumors regular

I'm actually designing and building one for my window unit currently. Using a $19 arduino microprocessor, and a $39 ethernet shield, I'm using a IR diode/ phototransistor to learn the remote control's commands, then reproduce them from the arduino (using a website and/or app to send commands to the ethernet shield).

8. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Likely cheaper and more efficient to buy a programmable thermostat.

9. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

Awesome thread...

Programable thermostats don't cut it for those of us who have a varied work schedule. A schedule that's dynamic daily and is constantly in flux.

I would love to be able to turn the central AC on before my 45 min drive home. If I'm gone for a few days, and the oppressive nj heat this summer coming home to a 90 degree house at 1am and waiting 3 hours for it to cool down sux!

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

You shouldn't vary the AC setting in the summer by more than 4-5 degrees. If you keep your house at 76 in the summer, and then pump it up to more than 80 degrees, it will likely have to run for quite a while to bring the temp of the house and all it's contents down, thus negating the savings. There's more variance ability when heating as the AC fights to remove the humidity.

11. StanD macrumors member

Curious now...

What App are you actually using to do the above? As a diabetic and a technology person I have never seen or heard of this.

- Stan

12. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

How did you manage 350 posts in 2 weeks?

13. interceptor47 macrumors member

I do believe he way being facetious (funny)!

14. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

15. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

Ur not getting it. When some of us go to work, my bag is packed for 6 days. I might be home in 1 day, I might be home in 8.

It's cheaper to run it for 3 hours rather than have it cool an empty house for 6 days.

A sub $300 remote solution would b ideal. Bur I haven't found anything that wasn't subscription based or less than 3 bills.

16. dialed1 macrumors 6502

dialed1

How do you use it on the garage?

17. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I get it. I still wouldn't jack the temp up though. You must have a small house or a huge AC unit or two units to bring it from 90 after several days down to a comfy temp. We have about 3200 sq ft. and one large AC unit and it will take 8hrs or more to drop it and the contents from 90 to 76. When we leave for vacation in the summer, I leave it set for 85.

18. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

check out homeseer.com

They make software where you can control any device (including a thermostat) via a a web browser.

19. StanD macrumors member

Thanks for the follow-up and the education on facetious, much appreciated and in-tone with how this forum seems to be directing itself.

I was under the misconception that his post was semi-serious and was hoping for more information.

Alas,

- Stan

20. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

This is interesting... I'd definitely consider this if it came down in price a bit.