Control-Alt-Del equivalent on OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Julien, May 25, 2008.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Still new to OSX (less than a week). Earlier I had iTunes playing with the Visualizer on Full Screen. iTunes froze up (could it be a Visualize vs. Screen Saver conflict?). Did not now the key stroke combination to kill it so had to restart the whole system. What is the key sequence to kill a program?

2. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Command, Option, Escape. Or you can click on the Apple menu and choose Force Quit. You can also right-click on the Dock icon and choose Force Quit from there. :)

3. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Not sure what that is. Is that the Command key?
    How can I right-click on the dock icon or the Apple Menu when they aren't visible?:eek: I'll try and remember the Command Option Esc combo since that looks like the key. Thanks

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep, though it hasn't been to long since Apple deleted the Apple logo on those keys.

5. donmei macrumors regular

Julien
    command Q is quit.

What you may need to do and is the equivalent of ctrl/alt/del , processes , right click, end process tree is to FORCE a quit.

to force a quit I belive you right click the dead item in the. (control click for those with a single button mouse) and then select force quit.

Don

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Generally is the app isn't responding, the dock may automatically give you the force quit option.

Sometimes though you may need to click on the docks quit menu a couple times for the app to respond.

7. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Just use Command (Apple key) + Option (Alt) + esc.

Force quit window will open.

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

As mentioned above for bringing up the Force Quit menu for all running apps, or...

Attached Files:

9. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Everyone keeps saying to use the dock's quite command. READ my OP. I was using iTunes in FULL SCREEN Visualize so there was NO dock accessible. I had noting but the keyboard because the screen was COMPLETELY covered with the frozen iTunes Visualize.

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

There's your answer. Although on my keyboard you'd be pressing the Alt key, the Apple one and Escape. Just incase the terms confuse you as they did me.

That'll give you what the dock effectively would.

The only other way I can think of achieving what you want would be if you had Quicksilver or something similar running to launch Activity Monitor and shut down the process you want that way.

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

OK, sorry! The Cmd-Option-Esc is what you're looking for. Keep in mind the dock method will come in handy some day.

There's generally three or four different means to perform any task with a Mac, and while all but one may not help in this particular instance, it's considered good form to provide all of the available methods.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you cannot use the dock to quit, or navigate the :apple:-menu to force quit.

Command-Option-Escape is the one that brings up the Force Quit applet.

13. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

there have been times for me when i was running photoshop or itunes and it locked up and i couldn't get anything to respond. in those cases i hit control + a space number to switch to another space where i clicked on the :apple: and selected force quit, then selected the offending app from the menu.

i'm very new to anything mac, so i just try to figure it out as i go along.

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Take it easy man, and yeah many others keep saying to use Command-Option-ESC but you keep ignoring that and getting mad at people. Try it out.

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

As usual KF had the quick answer in post #3 ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

16. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Not mad but people keep assuming wrong without reading the posts just like you are with the "ignoring" comment. I read and now know the Command-Option-ecs from post number #3. As proof just read my post which is Post #4 "...I'll try and remember the Command Option Esc combo since that looks like the key. Thanks..."
    ...and it was taken and used;), end of story