Control and real time viewing of Canon 70D via wifi on iPhone/iPad?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mtbdudex, Nov 16, 2013.

1. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Has anybody done this, Control and real time viewing of Canon 70D via wifi on iPhone/iPad?
    http://share.inpwrd.com/l8xh
    [​IMG]

2. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

3. Team Timm macrumors regular

Not on a 70D

I've used the live viewing via WIFI on my iPhone with my Nikon D5200 and AW110 but not on a Canon. I would assume it's basically the same process. Connect to wifi, open app, view the camera roll or trigger the camera.

4. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

I haven't but was thinking about it. I don't have a hinged/rotating rear screen and there are times when I want a very low perspective shot and my kness protest loudly.

With a rotating screen...For me, I wouldn't bother.

~ Peter

5. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

I haven't used the 70D but WIFI control from an iPad is amazing (Nikon D800 & CamRanger). A swivel screen will buy you some additional viewing angles but iPad gives you more control.

It gives you remote shutter release. You can better see your focus on the larger screen. You change settings without touching the camera (HDR, stacking, etc). A large live view screen for framing a shot. In the studio you can adjust lights without having to keep running back to the camera to check.

Now that I've worked with the iPad I can't imagine going back. ;)

6. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

How much lag is there between initiating a photo and having the shutter open?

This sounds really cool. The iPad would make a fantastic viewfinder for setting up a picture.

7. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

I've used it wifi with a 6d, it's a hassle to link up every time.

for shots like the one you posted, ok, it's useful, but unless you are looking for the crazy angle shot, it's not worth setting up.

every time it loses the connection, either in infrastructure mode, or camera access point mode, it;s a hassle to re-setup and a battery drainer of both devices.

also, you cannot record video in wifi mode

8. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68000

Alexander.Of.Oz

I've used my iPhone 5 and my MacBook Pro with my 6D via wifi and no problems at all, with connection or maintaining operations. I've also used my MacBook Pro tethered to it via Helicon Remote and DSLR Remote Pro. Tethered offers more fine controls again than the basic free EOS remote app.

I have no idea about delay via wifi or being tethered, as I shoot landscapes, macro and architecture mainly.