Control-C does not work when running a job in Terminal

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simon lefisch, May 13, 2018.

1. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Hey everyone,

I purchased a used 2012 MBP from someone and noticed the control key does not work. I brought up keyboard viewer and that key does not register. Tried resetting PRAM and nothing. I’m thinking the key might be bad but hoping that’s not the case. If so, is there any way of remapping control-c in Terminal, or am I just screwed?

2. leman macrumors G3

There is a "keyboard" tab in the Terminal preferences window, I have never used it but it appears one can set up shortcuts there. Maybe try playing with it?

3. simon lefisch thread starter macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

I did see that, and after a bit more digging I was able to get a shortcut set. However I’m wondering if the control is bad. Is there any way of being able to test it or something? Or would I have to reinstall the OS?

4. leman macrumors G3

If it doesn't show up in the Keyboard Viewer, I think chances are good that its dead. Maybe try booting from an external medium and see if the key is recognised there? A USB installer of macOS would suffice.

5. dotnet macrumors 65816

dotnet

My control key is not broken, but I still remap caps-lock as additional control key, since caps-lock is the most useless key ever to clutter a keyboard :rolleyes:

6. simon lefisch thread starter macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Yea I’m thinking the key is dead as well. I may see about replacing the keyboard. At least I was able to map control-c for the time being. Thanks for your input @leman, much appreciated