Control center and Otterbox Defender

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ks-man, Sep 18, 2013.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

Earlier I was trying to get my wife's iphone to get control center to come up with an Otterbox Defender. It was virtually impossible. Are other people having issues with cases? I didn't try to take off the case to see if it would work.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, it's a known issue with some cases (not for everyone, but for quite a few with those types of cases).

3. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

this might explain the issue i'm having and was about to create a post about, I have the griffin survivor and can't get the control centre to come up.

I guess the only way to find out is to take it out the case, urgh effort.

----------

sure enough, taking the case off fixed it. how strange, pinching from the very edge of the screen like you can with notification centre is not good enough for control centre!

4. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

The new Defenders for the 5S should solve that issue.

5. DcoalStrat macrumors member

same problem here use your finger tips make sure you don't have long nails start from the bottom

6. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

not very practical when trying to change music tracks while driving :/

7. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I recently stopped using my otterbox defender for appearance purposes

I did notice a slight difficulty in swiping up control center, specifically in fullscreen apps, but it wasn't too difficult.

Since the new Otterbox Defenders have been updated for the iPhone 5S and iOS 7, the cases are more open and actually look a lot nicer (I may purchase one and replace my current Defender...after I see the reviews of course!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. flyingpotato macrumors newbie

Took me some time before I learned how to use control centre with defender but now Its easy :)

9. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

You'd probably want to invest in a bluetooth/USB Stereo. Even looking at your phone to change songs can be dangerous.

10. HKPDW, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

HKPDW macrumors member

Seems to work best swiping from the extreme corners (while using the index finger). Mine won't work swiping from the center of the screen or when using my thumb.

11. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

The new defender cases for the S is there a built in screen protector or no cause doesn't look like it

12. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I was able to do it in horizontal configs. On my wife's phone with a Otterbox case. Still not great

13. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I've noticed this as well but I am getting used to it.

14. andrunious macrumors member

somewhat getting the hang of it but still having issues with keyboard up, anyone else?

15. photo1257 macrumors newbie

Otterbox Defender and ios7

I could not access the control center at all. I had no idea why I could not and figured out for myself that it must be the otterbox defender case. :( Any suggestions? I can usually…eventually….get it to come up but not without lots of maneuvering and trying all kinds of areas on the bottom of the screen, etc. Otterbox is typically really great about "responding" to issues…wonder if they will offer some kind of fix?

I would appreciate any tricks that people find to access the control center without getting rid of my otterbox.
    :confused:

16. Ezb15 macrumors newbie

I had trouble initially --I have an iphone 5 with an Otterbox Defender. However I'm able to get instant access by using a stylus. Slide the tip of stylus on the right side of Home Button ( slight indent there) & swipe quickly upwards, making sure that tip slides down then upwards on edge of cover & screen. It catches the Control Center easily then! ( if you don't mind using a stylus

----------

I figured out how to pull up the control center no problem!! The trick is to run your finger down the slant of the actual case then onto the screen. Just pretend your finger is a person going down a slide onto the screen lol. I was just as frustrated with the case but I swear this works every time!!! Someone try it and back me up here!!!
    Originally Posted by Ezb15
    Hey! This really works! Just as good as using the stylus! Thanks!

17. Techwing, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

Techwing macrumors newbie

I have a Griffin Survivor rather than a Defender, but I've found that it's easy to bring up the Control Center once you're used to it. You have to put your finger just right, at the very bottom of the screen, and then flick upwards briskly. Works every time. Just takes practice.

The Survivor has a steep bevel around the edge of the screen and this can make doing anything along the edges a challenge. However, so far I haven't found anything that I can't do at all. I assume the Defender is similar in this respect, so don't give up.

Sometimes I also see a little tab appear at the bottom of the screen that seems to invite me to open the Control Center. However, I'm not sure how the phone decides to display this tab, but it might also make things easier.

18. dlipofsky macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with an iPhone 4 and OtterBox defender case, but this trick helps a lot. Also it helps if you use the side of your finger tip rather than the very tip, especially if you have long fingernails.

19. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Shouldn't be looking at your phone while driving. Your car stereo doesn't control track changes? Try siri.

20. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

I have to look at the button to change the track on the car...

21. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Do you? I'm guessing you don't have steering wheel control, but I know where the next button is on my car console well enogh to not have to look.

You have to look at the home button to use siri?

22. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

Yup. I do have steering wheel controls, but can only tell the volume by feel. Nope, I can feel the button for siri. On my car, all the buttons feel the same though. Did you know the first time, or did you pull over for the first couple of weeks every time you had to change the volume? Do you pull over to check your speed as well? :)