Control Center - no 3G toggle?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by globalist, Jun 16, 2013.

1. globalist macrumors 6502a

So I take it there's no 3G/LTE toggle in the iOS7 Control Center? :confused:

2. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

No. They need to let iOS 8 bring some useful features!

3. bitsoda macrumors member

Having a cellular data toggle is way more useful to me than a WiFi one. This is especially true if you're like me, and get near your data cap toward the end of your monthly plan.

4. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

For some, but not everyone.

I do keep using wifi toggle every day but very rarely data toggle. When i go over my data I know because they throtle it and it takes ages just to open a page.

5. Megakazbek macrumors regular

This is again a trouble with Apple that they think restricting customization is a good thing. For me, having 3G and cellular data switches is much more useful than Airplane mode (too rarely used) and Wi-Fi (can't even think who'd ever use this). I'd like to set up Control Center so that it gives me access to MY frequently used features, not of spherical target audience in vacuum that Apple's marketing is theorizing about.

6. Serban Suspended

i think its more usefull to add 3g/lte and remove brightness, to let that automatically adjust brightness from settings tab

7. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

You sir have pretty much nailed it.

I'm personally staying jailbroken on iOS 5.1.3. Sbsettings toggles + Google maps app = best of both worlds. :D

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

During a one month period, the number of times you need to ineract with wifi networks is far greater than needing to cut off 3G due to a data cap. I do think they should allow users to determine which toggles they want.

9. Mr Rabbit, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Let Apple know!

The beta is still in version 1 and obviously still very young. We don't know if Apple will ever add it but one thing is certain, they won't if people don't suggest it using the appropriate channels.

FWIW, I disagree. I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan through AT&T so I'm not hypersensitive to my data usage but I can imagine that would be nice. However, text messaging (SMS, MMS), many many apps, visual voicemail all require cellular data. By killing that connection you are killing those features. Apple historically likes to keep things simple for the majority of users (think about Grandpa, Mom, Cousin so & so). By adding a button that can be tapped quite easily by accident (a swipe up and a misplaced tap) they are creating both a support nightmare (1000's of calls daily by the aforementioned group complaining) and an easily faltered user experience for those same folks. Sure, Airplane mode puts you in a similar boat but it's usefulness is easily argued to be much greater as it's a quick way to kill the radios when boarding a plane or walking into a meeting.

Apple KB article explaining core cell data usage

Just some food for thought.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

if you are getting to the end and you want to turn it off you wont need easy access to touch the toggle everyday since it's going to be off, wifi on the other hand can vary throughout the day.

I find a 3G toggle in control center for easy access to be unnecessary.

11. Orka macrumors regular

Yeah, i fing it strange that they copied sbs settings app yet somehow left out 3G toggle. May be like someone already said, it'l be one of revolutionary IOS8 features:D

I don't need 3G all the time because my battery lasts so much longer on 2g gsm network. I only use 3g when i urgently need very fast internet connection and there is no wifi around.

----------

Do you think that brightness control is more necessary for easy access?

12. globalist, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seeing as Apple have gone to all these lenghts to copy the idea of SBSettings, I'm sure letting them know that there's a 3G/data toggle they somehow omitted, won't quite be the big revelation you're maybe hoping for. :D

To be fair, the topic of this thread is 3G toggle, not sure why people (including you) keep bringing up Data toggle.... It is useful to toggle 3G off to:

a) get at least good Edge signal when in a weak 3G-coverage area
    b) save battery life

Way more useful than airplane mode IMO.

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I mentioned it before in a similar thread, but remember that toggles for:

-3G
    -LTE
    -Cellular Data
    -Personal Hotspot

Will be device, carrier and even account specific.

All of the toggles in iOS 7 now will work on all of the supported devices.

The added complexity of controlling what is/isn't shown and how exactly unavailable features would he hidden/disabled could be why Apple has not added toggles for those things.

14. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

maybe for some, as for me I have never had to readjust it constantly in my ~5 years using iOS.

15. iPusch macrumors 6502

iPusch

the wifi toggle is awsm! Helps saving battery life easily when I am out! Don't have to go thru the settings! So keep it...

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I use it every evening to drop the brightness down when reading in bed so I don't disturb my girl.

17. Mrappleguru macrumors newbie

Nope, there really isn't a need for it though.

18. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

yes there is.

19. dany74m macrumors member

I miss the gps toggle. I really hope Apple will let the users to choose which toggle to add.

20. horus7 macrumors newbie

I love it when people respond to others that pinpoint a need (their own and maybe others) that apple left out and someone responds ... "that isn't necessary".

I just installed iOS 7 and the feature I most miss is the 3g and gps toogle that I had on my jailbreaked iphone 4s.

It would be very usefull for many people (and wouldn't hurt the others) ,wouldn't take much space, but they left it out...people get so defensive of apple's bad choices... :b (rant over)

21. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'm just curious as to why you would need/want a 3G toggle? Not trying to put anyone down - I just don't understand what the use of it would be? Want to learn from those that say they want it.

22. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

I never toggle cellular data I don't see the point in that at all. I will turn LTE off when I'm home because I'm on the boarder of it so it bounces back and forth and eats battery but why would someone turn off data? To have a fancy paperweight?

23. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Everyone has their own needs and expectations. I like the idea of selecting what to apply to the control center (kind of like how you can change what appears in the dock. I would rather see the VPN toggle than the rotation lock. I don't even know anyone that uses that, even on an ipad.

24. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

No buddy, maybe in ios 8 they will add this feature and call it "revolutionary"