Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
So, on my iPhone, in Control Center, long press the centre of the connections area, it opens to show Airplane Mode, Cellular Data, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, AirDrop, and Personal Hotspot. Tap on Personal Hotspot. It goes green and is discoverable.

Over to my iPad. Same process in Control Center, but I only see Airplane Mode, AirDrop, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth. No Personal Hotspot.

Yes, I know I can go into Settings. That all works fine. The iPad connects to my Personal Hotspot. But the whole idea of using Control Center is to make this process quicker than wading Settings.

So, I cannot see the Personal Hotspot icon in my iPad Control Centre. Any ideas?

And the option is not in Settings/Control Center. So no Personal Hotspot easy connection option via Control Center?

Now I learn that Personal Hotspot is only accessible on iPads with Cellular data. Huh? But I pay my iPhone provider extra to tether my non-cellular iPad to my iPhone. Which I can do. But would like to do quicker using my iPad Control Center!

Huh?

Last edited:

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
So, on my iPhone, in Control Center, long press the centre of the connections area, it opens to show Airplane Mode, Cellular Data, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, AirDrop, and Personal Hotspot. Tap on Personal Hotspot. It goes green and is discoverable.

Over to my iPad. Same process in Control Center, but I only see Airplane Mode, AirDrop, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth. No Personal Hotspot.

Yes, I know I can go into Settings. That all works fine. The iPad connects to my Personal Hotspot. But the whole idea of using Control Center is to make this process quicker than wading Settings.

So, I cannot see the Personal Hotspot icon in my iPad Control Centre. Any ideas?

And the option is not in Settings/Control Center. So no Personal Hotspot easy connection option via Control Center?

Now I learn that Personal Hotspot is only accessible on iPads with Cellular data. Huh? But I pay my iPhone provider extra to tether my non-cellular iPad to my iPhone. Which I can do. But would like to do quicker using my iPad Control Center!

Huh?
I don’t understand this in the slightest. You pay extra to be able to tether (hotspot surely?) your iPad to your iPhone but you want to use the hotspot on your iPad? To do what exactly?
it sounds like you already run your iPad from a phone hotspot, amd you want to run something from you iPad using a hotspot too? Why don’t you just run them all from your phone? I think I may have misunderstood!

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
I'm maybe completely misunderstanding what you're trying to do, but you connect to your iPhone's hotspot connection over wifi on your iPad. If you long-press on the wifi icon in the control center, your iPhone's personal hotspot should appear there.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
I don’t understand this in the slightest. You pay extra to be able to tether (hotspot surely?) your iPad to your iPhone but you want to use the hotspot on your iPad? To do what exactly?
it sounds like you already run your iPad from a phone hotspot, amd you want to run something from you iPad using a hotspot too? Why don’t you just run them all from your phone? I think I may have misunderstood!
Let’s start over.

I have an iPhone. It has a personal hotspot. In my iPhone’s Control Centre, I have a personal hotspot icon.

I also have an iPad. My iPad is not cellular. So, to connect to the Internet on my iPad when I am not at home, I tether my iPad to my iPhone’s personal hotspot. In my iPad’s Control Centre, there is no personal hotspot icon. So to tether my iPad to my iPhone, I must go into Settings on my iPad and select my iPhone’s personal hotspot. Then I can connect. Fine. But I have to do this every single time I leave my home.

I also have home WiFi. When I am at home, my iPad automatically connects to my home WiFi. But when I am not at home, my iPad does not automatically connect to my iPhone’s personal hotspot. Hence wading through the iPad Settings every single time.

Which is why I’m looking for some kind of shortcut, probably by building one in the Apple Shortcuts app, because the shortcut icon to my iPhone’s personal hotspot is not in the Control Centre on my iPad.

Last edited:

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
In short:

Why does my iPad connect automatically to my home WiFi when I am at home, but does not connect automatically to my iPhone’s personal hotspot when I am out and about?

And how do I make my iPad connect automatically to my iPhone’s personal hotspot, without wading through Settings to select my iPhone’s personal hotspot, when I am out and about?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Let’s start over.

I have an iPhone. It has a personal hotspot. In my iPhone’s Control Centre, I have a personal hotspot icon.

I also have an iPad. My iPad is not cellular. So, to connect to the Internet on my iPad when I am not at home, I tether my iPad to my iPhone’s personal hotspot. In my iPad’s Control Centre, there is no personal hotspot icon. So to tether my iPad to my iPhone, I must go into Settings on my iPad and select my iPhone’s personal hotspot. Then I can connect. Fine. But I have to do this every single time I leave my home.

I also have home WiFi. When I am at home, my iPad automatically connects to my home WiFi. But when I am not at home, my iPad does not automatically connect to my iPhone’s personal hotspot. Hence wading through the iPad Settings every single time.

Which is why I’m looking for some kind of shortcut, probably by building one in the Apple Shortcuts app, because the shortcut icon to my iPhone’s personal hotspot is not in the Control Centre on my iPad.
You will always need to connect your iPad to your phone using your phones hotspot, there is no manual way to trigger it via your iPad.
but it should be on the list of available wifi connections when you click and hold the wifi button in the iPad control center, provided it’s switched on on your phone.
As another user pointed out though, in wifi settings on the iPad, you can have it auto join the hotspot. That’s what I do and it works absolutely fine.

• Love
Reactions: return2sendai

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
All good tips. I’ve discovered “Auto-join hotspot” on my iPad and selecting my iPhone hotspot by long-pressing the WiFi icon in my iPad Control Centre. Thank you.

However….

The problem now seems to be with my iPhone personal hotspot.

If I disconnect my iPad from my iPhone personal hotspot, or select my home WiFi network over my personal hotspot, or my iPad sits unused for a few minutes until it goes to sleep, the personal hotspot icon on my iPhone’s expanded Control Centre changes from green to grey and the hotspot becomes undiscoverable. So next time I want to use the hotspot, my iPad does not auto-join the hotspot because it, the hotspot, is undiscoverable. So back into the iPhone Control Centre I must go to make it discoverable again!

So, is there any way to keep my iPhone’s personal hotspot always on, the icon always green, the hotspot always discoverable?

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
Yeah! All working fine now.

Selecting “Auto-join hotspot“ in “Settings/WiFi” to “Automatic” ON MY IPAD enables my iPad to connect to the Personal Hotspot on my iPhone even if the Personal Hotspot icon in my iPhone‘s Control Centre is grey and labelled “undiscoverable“. When my iPad automatically connects, the Personal Hotspot icon in my iPhone‘s Control Centre changes to green and “discoverable”. With this setting enabled on my iPad, I don’t have to do anything on either my iPhone or my iPad. My iPad just connects automatically to my iPhone’s Personal Hotspot.

Thank you all for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.