Control Home Appliances With iPhone and X10

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhoneHome, Aug 22, 2007.

1. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

This is pretty crazy...this guy figured out how to turn his home appliances on and off with his iPhone. Pretty crazy.....i can see myself right now dimming the lights with my phone on one of those "special nights".....:D

Control The World With Your iPhone

2. iPhoneHome thread starter macrumors 6502

3. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

it is really cool indeed. the only thing is that he mentions the firecracker has a serial connector. does this need to be plugged into a machine running as the server? what kind of computer has a serial anyway nowadays. can you get a usb one?

4. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

5. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Its sad, that this was my planned project. However, due to a heavy work schedule and low on funds (Needed more X10 modules) I couldn't do it. I was going to do it using a Linux server and a little serial module called a firecracker.

Eitherway, very cool stuff ... :D

6. robvia macrumors member

That's cool. I view two web cams I have set up at my house. I didn't have to make any changes to the iPhone, just bring up Safari, put in my web addresses, and the cameras come up. I've got one pointing at the driveway, and the other at the front door where the dog lays most of the time. Both of the cameras are indoor models, one is hanging in a window sill, the other at the top of the stairs.
    Anyway, it's neat to view them anytime I want. For example, I was driving 3 hours from Orlando back to South Florida and wondered if anyone was awake in the house. I took a look, saw people walking around, and called to see what was going on. So there's my little what can you do with your house on an iPhone story.

7. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

That's awesome. I'd be happy with being able to control FrontRow, haha.

8. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I use Indigo for my home automation and I can remotely control things (lights, sprinklers, etc.) and view my camera from anywhere with my iPhone. A native client is forthcoming, apparently, too.

9. sibruk macrumors 6502a

You can very easily control FrontRow using Remote Buddy.

10. kim87926 macrumors newbie