Control iphone SMS from mac

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sammy.d, Jan 28, 2012.

1. sammy.d macrumors regular

Hi guys,
    I know there are many threads on this but I cannot find an answer in any of them. I am looking for a way to send AND receive my iphone sms messages on my mac. I currently use SMS sender but I have a few issues with this application (this is a mac app with an iphone client):

-The iphone app must be running (not in the background). If I have to grab my phone and enter the app, I may as well just send the message from there anyway... I would like something that keeps the phone-mac connection open and runs in the background and can auto-connect when the two are on the same network
    -I have to authorise the messages on the phone after I type them on the mac. Again, if I have to grab the phone, I may as well send the message straight from the phone.
    -I would also like to be able to view the messages that are on my iphone, on my mac so I can see what I am replying to and be given an alert (like a growl notification) on my mac when the phone receives a message.

So really, what I want to be able to do is come home and put my iphone down in one room, have it auto connect to the mac, go into the room with the mac, receive an alert on my mac that I have received a new SMS, reply to the SMS from the mac and not have to touch the iphone that is in the other room.

Can anyone tell me what is out there that will do this? Whether it be from the app store or Cydia... I am on ios 5

If I have just confused you with what I want, tell me and I will clarify, but I really think something like this should be available.

Cheers.

2. sammy.d thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think that is going to use my iPhone's number to send text messages is it?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can port it for a fee or get a free Google Voice number.

4. sammy.d thread starter macrumors regular

Still, I would prefer to keep using my normal phone carrier, not one of these internet 'carriers'. Google Voice may be a last resort option but can anyone suggest something that will work with my phone plan, not an internet service?

5. aznjonny macrumors newbie

If you're jailbroken, you can download WifiSMS from Cydia. It basically allows you to connect to your phone using your computer and access the messaging app. It looks exactly like the messaging app except it's actually on your computer's web browser and you can send texts through your phone :)

Very handy when you're at home and having a long text conversation with someone and you don't feel like typing.

6. sammy.d thread starter macrumors regular

WififSMS is amazing!! That is just what I wanted!

Only one small problem though... In the web interface, some of the phone numbers (most of them) aren't recognised and matched to my contact's names... for example it may show a conversation with andy, labelled 'andy', then a conversation with matt, labelled with his phone number '04xxxxxxxx', and then another conversation with Andy but this one labelled with his phone number. So a lot of the time, I can only work out what is going on by reading the messages and trying to remember who sent them.

Any ideas on how to fix this??

Cheers.

----------

All good. I worked it out.

It was a problem with the country number prefix thing. I went into the little settings button near where you type the message and entered 61 (Australia's code). Now all the contacts show fine.

This is an awesome program!

7. aznjonny macrumors newbie

You're welcome! :)

I've also been looking for something like this for a long time and happened to stumble upon it in Cydia a few weeks ago. I was just about to suggest changing your contacts to include country and area codes, but I guess you got it!

8. mosomosu macrumors newbie

Love to try this, but I'm still new in this jailbroken "world". Would you post me step by step to set up the WifiSMS..

I have a jailbroken iPhone and downloaded WifiSMS.

Thanks