Control multiple macs (not kvm/teleport, etc)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Music_Producer, May 24, 2011.

1. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Hi, I'm looking for a solution to this problem:

Say I have 5 macbook pros - all same specs, same software installed (using cloned drives) Now I need the actions performed on one mbp to be duplicated on all of them.. is this possible? If I move my cursor on 1 mbp and launch mail, the same action should be performed on the remaining mbps - realtime (or maybe with a little lag)

I understand that this would be difficult if different computers were used with different display resolutions, etc - but is there a solution if the same type of computers/screen resolutions are used?

2. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Consistent mouse control across 5 machines will be difficult, but with Apple Remote Desktop you can issue commands to and run applications on multiple machines at once. With Automator and/or AppleScripts, maybe that could work for you.
    What do you want them to do exactly?

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

And if you want them to do the exact same thing, why wouldn't one computer with 5 displays work?

Given your handle, I assume it might be music related - would a MIDI controller not serve that purpose best?

5. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

and last post, sorry - i don't know if this will work, but perhaps there's some sort of usb splitter box out there (opposite of a hub) that will allow a usb mouse and keyboard to be plugged into 5 things at once.

6. Music_Producer thread starter macrumors 68000

lol moto - thanks for that.. that was funny!

LeeTom, I frequently need backup systems when performing concerts or production runs - where if one system fails, the other immediately kicks in. This time I need to run 5 mbps running orchestral libraries.. this is going to be a live setup. 3 of these would be doing most of the work while the other 2 would be backups incase of failure

A midi controller would work but i need to switch between software setups at times.. change effects levels, etc - and a midi controller wouldn't be able to do that.

7. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

what software are you using? midi seems the perfect tool to change effects levels and such, depending on how versatile the software you're using is and what it lets you assign to what...

8. Music_Producer thread starter macrumors 68000

It's not just switching levels, sends, etc - it's also switching between programs. For e.g. I'll use a Logic session for some time, and then switch to Symphobia.. and then to a Reason session and so on. I could manually change all computers one by one but it would take time and look really silly.