Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
Hey all,

I'm a high school senior, and next year I'll be studying abroad for a year. After that, I'll be going to school on the East Coast. My mom uses an iMac G4 running OX 10.4, and she sometimes has trouble figuring out how to do things. I'll hopefully be on a MBP. My question is: is there any free way that I can enable our setup so that I can access her the iMac over the 'net, anywhere I am? I don't think we have a static ISP, and although we have DSL, my dad's work computer is on the same line, so we're firewalled pretty well, as far as I know.

If there aren't any free options, I'll take any other ones too...

Thanks!

EDIT A step-by-step process wouldn't hurt.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
asherman13 said:
Hey all,

I'm a high school senior, and next year I'll be studying abroad for a year. After that, I'll be going to school on the East Coast. My mom uses an iMac G4 running OX 10.4, and she sometimes has trouble figuring out how to do things. I'll hopefully be on a MBP. My question is: is there any free way that I can enable our setup so that I can access her the iMac over the 'net, anywhere I am? I don't think we have a static ISP, and although we have DSL, my dad's work computer is on the same line, so we're firewalled pretty well, as far as I know.

If there aren't any free options, I'll take any other ones too...

Thanks!

EDIT A step-by-step process wouldn't hurt.
Use Port Forwarding inside your router to forward port 5950 and 5951 to the IP Address of the Mac. (see pic below for my port forwarding)

Then on the Mac, you go to System Preferences, Check off 'Apple Remote Desktop', and in the 'VNC viewers may contol screen with password' put a password that is very secure since this password will unlock your computer to the remote user and save it. (see pic)

Then on the remote computer, get Chicken of the VNC, and make a new connection, put in the IP address for the home mac and password, leave Display at 0, and log in. (see pic)

You can test it out by doing this at home and just using the internal addresses which start with 192 to try it out before going to study abroad.

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 98

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
varmit said:
Use Port Forwarding inside your router to forward port 5950 and 5951 to the IP Address of the Mac. (see pic below for my port forwarding)

Then on the Mac, you go to System Preferences, Check off 'Apple Remote Desktop', and in the 'VNC viewers may contol screen with password' put a password that is very secure since this password will unlock your computer to the remote user and save it. (see pic)

Then on the remote computer, get Chicken of the VNC, and make a new connection, put in the IP address for the home mac and password, leave Display at 0, and log in. (see pic)

You can test it out by doing this at home and just using the internal addresses which start with 192 to try it out before going to study abroad.

I'm just starting to actually do this...

Which Mac do I forward the two ports to, the iMac (the one at home) or the MacBook Pro (the one going everywhere and would be viewing/controlling the iMac at times)?

Do I need to forward port 22?

EDIT The router is a Netgear RT314.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.