Control over 2 ethernet port on Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by slackersg, Sep 25, 2007.

1. slackersg macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Seeking help over this little network issue i have faced.
    Situation : mac pro with 2 ethernet port. 2 different network (intranet and internet to put it simple)
    Is there a way to "control" the network so as to "configure" email client to intranet while internet browser to internet?

My poor skill of googling return me zero result so seeking help from those who might have an idea.
    Hope to hear some advice or suggestion on small applications to help the situation soon. TIA!

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I don't think I get what you want to do...

but both of the Mac Pro ports are independent each with it's own Mac adress and assignable (Static or DHCP) IP.

3. slackersg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks SDAVE for reponse.

The intranet is seperate from internet.
    Not sure how much clearer can i go. Different IP was grabbed by both.
    However, the email client (Lotus Notes) is unable to link properly to the intranet server while the direect internet link is working fine.

Logically, i see it as i just need a form of "program" to route the respective program to the correct network like Lotus Note link to intranet (IP has been grabbed properly all the time) while web browser will link to the direct internet link.

Currently, i'm doing "disable port 1 (internet)" so my lotus note can grab the latest email, "enable port 1 (internet) so i can access my webmail but my lotus note fail.

Hope to find a better way to have both working hand in hand.

4. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Sounds like to need to add a route to your lotus notes server (I assume it's not on the same VLAN as the local network on that interface).

You can add a route like this

route add -host x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

Where x.x.x.x is the IP of the mail server and y.y.y.y is the IP of the gateway on that interface.

Not sure how you get this to persist across a reboot.