Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ta-bas-co

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2014
The latest OSX screensaver has limited controls when using the Classic Photo setting.
Only two options; back and forward (using the left and right arrow keys).

Is there any way to use these screensaver controls in a script? So I can execute them with my Apple-remote using the program BetterTouchTool which can execute scripts.

My screensaver displays a randomly ordered slideshow of 20,000+ photo's, sometimes I would like to pause it, unfortunately that option is gone in the current OS, so I'll have to stick with the back-arrow key. Only when sending the 'left-arrow-key'-function with BetterTouchTool the screensaver stops.
Also when executing the following left-arrow script, the screensaver stops:
Code:
tell application "System Events"
    key code 123
end tell

I thought a script might be the outcome for this, if not or if you have other/better ideas please let me know.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
... This sounds like an abuse of a screensaver... Why not just use a proper application in full screen, like Preview or Photos?

ta-bas-co

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2014
... This sounds like an abuse of a screensaver... Why not just use a proper application in full screen, like Preview or Photos?
Thank you for making your suggestions, for different reasons I prefer the screen saver option above Photos. And since the back and forward option is already present, I just wonder if I can use remote control with it.

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
I have to agree with ArtOfWarfare that it sounds like you're trying to make a screensaver behave in a way it's not designed to behave. I suspect you'll always find yourself running up against a brick wall for that reason.

Can you explain more about what it is you don't like about the Preview/Photos or whatever slideshows? If we know that then maybe we can suggest some alternative software that meets your needs.

ta-bas-co

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2014
Thank you, both, for pointing out that there might be an alternative. I will try to explain my exact goal:

My Mac is a prominent object in the living room. Always running, for the daily stuff like iTunes music library, Mail, Safari etc. When it is not actively being used by someone the screensaver starts and shows a random photo slideshow. Because the database spans about 12 years it's very pleasant to sit and watch them go by for a while. When sitting behind the desk it's easy to go back one photo (with left arrow key) to show it to someone else or to watch it again.
When sitting at the dinner table or on the couch I use the remote to skip a song or volume up/down, etc. I also would like to skip or go back on the screensaver photo's for the same reason. (I hope I made it clear, since English is not my native language)

So, I don't want to alter or implement a new function in the screensaver, I just would like to use the remote control besides my keyboard to go back one photo sometimes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.