Control Spindown/Powerdown of hard disk separately

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thebritishguy, Mar 1, 2012.

1. thebritishguy macrumors member

I am trying to figure out how set the automated powerdown of my hard disk separate from my SSD

I have a mid 2011 MBP 13" with a M4 SSD in HS Slot 1 and a Momentus XT in the second/ODD slot

I want my HDD to power down after 5 minutes of inactivity but leave the SSD alone.

Am I right in thinking that ejecting the HDD will power it down? Is there an automated way of doing this?

I looked into CHUD but the version I downloaded from apple does not seem to support my configuration/Lion

Anyone managed to do this in an automated way?

TBG

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Eject it.
    It will cause it to spin down, but it won't power down. You'll still be able to remount it with Disk Utility.
    None that I'm aware of, but it just takes a single click to eject the drive in Finder.

3. Bear macrumors G3

If you mean "stop spinning" by power down, SSDs don't spin in the first place. And that's what "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" in Energy Saver preferences really does.

Do you notice a difference in SSD access speed between when that option is on and off? It so, is the HD spinning back up? If it is, then the only option is to unmount(eject) the HD., but you need to check what really happens with the system options first.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may have missed this:
    The OP wants to be able to either spin down or power down the HDD without affecting the SSD.

5. Bear macrumors G3

And my point is that SSD's don't spin so the system option to sleep HDs (which spins HDs down) whenever possible may not really affect the SSD.

6. negativzero macrumors 6502

Use this command in terminal.

PHP:
    sudo pmset -a disksleep 5
    It will put your harddisk to sleep after 5 mins.