Control Startup Items in El Capitan

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by BrandonJ, Jan 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BrandonJ macrumors newbie

BrandonJ

Hi there,

I can see in activity monitor that there are a lot of things being loaded at startup and when my laptop was recently at the apple store for a repair, they said the same and that I should clean that up.

I have gone into system preferences, users & groups, Login items, and there was only iTunes helper in there. I looked in the library folder for startupitems but couldn't find it in there so went to Go>Go To Folder and then /Library/StartUpItems which displayed the folder but no items were visible. Are they hidden?

Not sure where to go from here, I have searched around and can't find too much. Any help here much appreciated.

Thanks!

2012 Macbook Pro 15" with El Capitan

2. chabig macrumors 603

Chances are that everything you see running in Activity Monitor is supposed to be running. It's normal. If you have specific concerns, post a picture of your Activity Monitor and we can talk about specific items.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Look in all these folders. ~ is your users folder.

~/Library/LaunchAgents
    /Library/LaunchAgents
    /Library/LaunchDaemons
    /Library/StartupItems

What may also help is the app Etrecheck. Run it and it will create a report showing all login and startup items and which of the folders I listed the item is in. The report is anonymized, so if you like you can post it here for us to try and help you.