Control Surface for Logic

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by MowingDevil, Jun 20, 2010.

1. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I'm in the market for a control surface w/ motorized faders for Logic; have been eyeing the Euphonix MC Mix...but it is expensive and am not convinced just yet. What else are you using, what are the options and would you recommend it?

Don't take my word for this, as I have not yet had the chance to personally test it out for myself, but what about the iPad? That is pretty cheap (500 dollars) and there's different apps on that which will basically function as a pretty huge and sweet remote control for Logic, including faders on the screen.

Just to clarify, I have tried an iPad and think it's great, but I haven't tried those particular Logic controller programs on it yet. As long as the latency is decent, then it seems to be a very nice option. The bonus of course is that you not only get an awesome Logic remote, but also get the benefit of all the other uses of the iPad, when you're not using it for Logic.

Motorized faders don't really impress me and most feel like complete, cheap crap, unless you're willing to buy the really expensive ones. I haven't yet tested the Euphonix ones that you're talking about.

3. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I know what you're saying....the cheaper ones are...well, cheap. I haven't tried the high end ones yet either....the only decent ones I've heard of are Mackie and Euphonix although I've yet to test drive them either.

I'm aware of the iPad as a controller...to me it looks fantastic in that its portable; you could be over at a drum kit and make adjustments w/o leaving the seat...or in a vocal booth/closet/bathroom/hallway if you're a one-man show. Perfect for that! ...that said, I can't see dragging a finger across a screen being the same feeling as moving a physical slider/knob...there's something about that touch and performing the fader in the mix. Still I reserve judgment until I try it but either way its gotta be better than a mouse.

If I do happen to be blessed w/ an iPad I'd get the app for sure & try it out!

4. deej999 macrumors regular

both euphonix and mackie are amazing. Euphonix was bought out by Avid thou so who knows the future development of this platform for Logic?

AC7 on iPad is very good. I use it sometimes. Prefer the feel of a real fader but AC7 is handy and responds well with Logic 9.

5. MarkHolbrook macrumors newbie

A buddy of mine and I split an iPad. I don't get to use it much but I have put AC7 on it and its pretty cool.

I had a presonus faderport which was very nice but drivers had tons of problems and not compatible (at least last I checked) with Logic 9.

I used to use a Teac FireOne as an audio interface. The thing had a nice jog wheel that I really really miss along with buttons that could be set for transport controls. No faders but the jog wheel was so cool. Too bad the audio stuff on it sucked. I ended up selling it and getting a Duet which audio wise is flawless.