Control your mac on your touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by brian9271, Feb 1, 2008.

1. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

Is there any possible way to control your mac on your touch using logmein or other remote access pc softwares?

2. roymcavoy macrumors newbie

I'm using
    www.iospirit.com/remotebuddy/

Works pretty well for most applications I've tried. You can even take remote snapshots with the iSight if you have one.

3. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

4. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Hey one more question, is this similar to LogMeIn? I watched the movie, but I don't see the mouse cursor, does it only control the apps or can it actually control the desktop and the whole thing including the apps, like I can surf the web on the touch, but I'm actually surfing the web on my mac, and my mac is turned on because this could be very helpful, it can solve the problem with watching youtube on your touch, actually watching movies on your touch, but through your mac.

5. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Sorry dude, but I was talking about Itouch, sorry for details, but I guess that site will be useful if I get an Iphone =)

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

it works for ipod touch too lol

7. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Okay cool, thanks, I saw some screen shots of it, about the screen sharing, can it be done with this software? Wirelessly? Using Itouch? - Apart from controlling apps?

8. ehsteve23 macrumors member

Telekinesis allows you to access your mac through the internet (by default you have to be in within the same network as your mac, but you can open up a port th access from anywhere) you can open up your apps, view the isight camera, view and use the screen, control itunes and more.

if you want to control the screen, you'll have to change your resolution to 1280x800, othrwise clicks won't line up.

you can actually use any web browser with telekinesis, but it's designed for ipod/iphone

9. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Thanks Ehsteve23, so you can watch movies on Youtube through your Ipod/Iphone which is controlling your mac right?

10. caa4444 macrumors member

Vnc

U could install VNSea on ur iPod and install a VNC server on ur Mac
    VNSea is pretty good and u can install from installer but a VNC server ur gonna hav to lok around since i dont use a mac and i dont wanna waste too much time finding sunthing i dont need

11. ehsteve23 macrumors member

well, you don't get sound, and the screen only refreshes itself every few seconds, so it wouldnt work so well... you do know there'ss a youtube app on the ipod right?:rolleyes:

12. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Hmm... I don't have an Ipod Touch but I've seen it and its cool, but I don't know about the touch, I tried surfing on Youtube but couldn't watch any videos, so I guess I don't know whether there is a Youtube app, BUT I'll look into it, thanks...

13. Craig Christ macrumors member

I use vnsea and it works pretty well. Also macs have built in vnc server built right in! Do you guys suggest something better than vnc? This is the only remote app I've tried so far.

14. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

There could be other remote apps, but does Vnsea lagg much?

15. caa4444 macrumors member

Dang, macs have a VNC built in???????????????? Me Wantee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Craig Christ macrumors member

not in my experience. But I mean don't expect to watch video or something crazy like that via vnc.

You'll find vnc on a mac by going to system prefs-Sharing-Remote desktop or something along those lines.

17. boonleng macrumors regular

I'm a vnsea user too... you just need to get the controls down, after that... it's pretty enjoyable. Two fingers to pan around, instead of just one. Zoom in/out is the same old pinching/expanding... ohh... slide the top bar from left to right or reverse hide/show you the dock.... double tap the top bar gives you extra controls... :)

18. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

I've got VLC, don't know what it does, my school put it on when they upgraded my Mac to Leopard...

19. Craig Christ macrumors member

VLC is simply a media player. Although, it is the best.

20. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

COOL, I'm glad I upgraded in school!!

21. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Hey guys I tried to use LogMeIn, got up to the point of remote control, then blank screen on my touch (got one finally), apart from that, what else is there to control your mac on your touch?

22. volk macrumors member

Telekinesis is the way to go. It is unbelievably easy to set up, and once you have it on your machine, you can do lots of different things with it. I use it to stream media to my iPod Touch (even movies stream great), use my iSight camera, remote control your iTunes, browse and open files, launch programs, etc.

Additionally, you can use Automator to create tons of automation scripts to add more control. I built scripts to control system volume and to shuffle specific playlists from anywhere in my house. Anyone with any Applescript knowledge could really do amazing things with this.

It isn't perfect, and maybe it should be seen as a supplement to something like VNSea, but I use it all the time and I fully expect a LOT more functionality in the future.

23. Craig Christ macrumors member

Where would I get Telekinesis. Looks worth checking out.

24. volk macrumors member