Controller Keyboard Recommendations

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Suture, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Looking to finally upgrade my controller. I'm using an old FATAR and an M-Audio MK-61. Would prefer something with some pads. 88 keys if possible. I use Logic and GB primarily. Any recommendations? I haven't really looked at gear in a LONG time.

Akai MPK88 has my interest so far.

2. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

The keyboard is awful on the MPK88, stay away! Keys are the noisiest and feel cheap - I was kinda surprised when I tried it, being an Alai product. My recommendation is simple: in the same price range, you have the Arturia Keylab 88, easily one of the best, if not the absolute best controller on the market today. It has everything including aftertouch, a build quality that is second to none, the keyboard has an amazing feel it's a pleasure to play, it comes with Arturia's Analog Lab, a fantastic set of sounds - I could go on... It's really that good.

3. Suture thread starter macrumors 6502a

Suture

Appreciate the feedback and recommendation! I'll take a look at the Arturia.

4. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I was looking at the arturia controllers, too, but was scared off by the huge rate of hardware failures being reported. Specifically, the keys themselves seem to break quite frequently. It's too bad because keylab does look awesome, I love to feel if the keys, and it's a quite nice looking piece of equipment.

5. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

From what I've read that was only the early models that were affected. FWIW, mine is working like a charm since day 1.

6. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

7. Suture thread starter macrumors 6502a

Suture

I was thinking maybe around $800. I'm a little flexible.