Controller Wars

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PajamaPants, Jul 5, 2013.

?

Which one do you prefer?

Poll closed Jul 12, 2013.
  1. Apple's Mighty Mouse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Apple's Magic Mouse

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Apple's Magic Trackpad

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. MYO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Leap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Trackball mouse

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Other

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. PajamaPants macrumors member

Hey everyone, just wondering about replacing my old Mighty Mouse (that I will also keep using with the iMac) so I would like to know which controller do you prefer and why.

Apple's Mighty Mouse
    Apple's Magic Mouse
    Apple's Magic Trackpad
    MYO
    LEAP
    Trackball
    Regular controllers

Suggestions are welcome!

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I use four different mouse type controllers:-

Apple Trackpad (built into MacBook Pro), I really like the gestures and I find it easy to use.

Apple Magic Mouse, I know some people really hate the Magic Mouse and find it uncomfortable. Well I'm the opposite, I tend to push it around with my finger tips and like having the sensor at the front. I find it easier to do precision work with versus the Trackpad. The gestures are nice but not as good as though on the Trackpad. However it is pretty useless for gaming.

Super cheap wired Logitech 2 button plus scroll wheel optical mouse. I use it for playing games, it does this job just fine, but I don't use it for anything else.

Wacom Graphire Bluetooth graphics tablet, for graphics work where I need greater precision, pressure etc..., though I use it as a general pointing device as well. The pen weighs almost nothing so its very easy on my hand.

I have several Mighty Mouse, they all have dodgy scroll balls where no matter how much you clean them they don't work in one or two directions, annoying.

Personally I would see if you can try the Magic Trackpad and especially the Magic Mouse before buying to see whether you'll find them comfortable to use.

3. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

I use a combination of the Magic Trackpad and a traditional Logitech wired mouse for gaming. The Magic Mouse is great in concept but ergonomically terrible.

4. meistervu macrumors 65816

I like Kensington trackball except for the lack of smooth scrolling and gestures.

I like the built in trackpad in my MBPr for everything else other than text selection. I find the trackball more precise.

I may get an external trackpad to use in addition to the trackball.

5. PajamaPants thread starter macrumors member

Well, I got the Magic Trackpad and I am really happy with it.
    The gestures are awesome. But I also keep the non-functional Mighty Mouse. The trackpad feels nice but I cannot work with it in Photoshop, After Effects and such. It just isn't as accurate in fine selecting as the mouse, but for every day usage, web browsing, mail, and such it is a perfect companion.

And a few months down the road I might buy a Wacom for Illustrator and Photoshop.(I don't know why I didn't even include this in the pool, sorry about that)

But I would also like to know what real people think of things like leap and MYO most probably because I would love to find a excuse to buy something like that, It might cause strain and such but they are awesome.

Thanks everyone!

6. thogin macrumors member

thogin

I want to like the Magic Trackpad but I find it fatiguing to use. A mouse is much more precise and easier to click. Turning on "tap to click" on the trackpad didn't help since too many mis-clicks get through. So I'm currently using a Logitech Performance MX mouse, which is excellent and I highly recommend it. However, I might keep the trackpad nearby as a secondary input device, since I do like the gestures.

7. meistervu macrumors 65816

For the longest time I did not understand why people don't turn on tap-to-click option, and why apple doesn't do it by default. But now that I saw a couple of posts regarding unintentional clicks, I see why.

For me, tap-to-click has always been my preference. I can't stand physical clicks any more as it requires too much effort repetitively. I never have a problem with false clicks.

I wonder those who suffers false clicks with tap-to-click on did not give it enough time to get used to the change (half a day?). For me it's the best thing on a pointing device as it reduces the amount of effort which I believe could lead to repetitive strain injury.

8. mslide macrumors 6502a

Aside from my MBP's built-in trackpad, I use a Logitech Performance MX (work) and Logitech G700 (home/gaming). I've never liked Apple mice and keyboards. Apple doesn't consider ergonomics when designing their peripherals. I tried the Magic Trackpad and returned it the next day since it hurt my wrists and using a regular mouse is just more precise and quicker. It surprised me since I like using my MBP's trackpad when on the go and am quite efficient with it. I really wanted to like using the Magic Trackpad in a desktop environment but it just doesn't work well for me.

9. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I use a combo between the Magic Trackpad and a Logitech g9 mouse. The Magic Trackpad is great for everyday use, bit if I need speed and precision I use the g9.