Controlling Fan Temperature

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacCrackAddict, Apr 6, 2011.

1. MacCrackAddict macrumors member

So obviously MBs have always heated up especially when playing games. I read up on using smcFan Control, and installed it. Just turning it on ups my fans from an average of 1800-2000 rpm to 3500-3600 but drops my CPU temp from an average 56 degrees to 42. is this worth the compromise?

im aware MBP can handle a 60 degrees CPU but will i wear my fans out really quickly by leaving them at this rpm? if so should i try a compromise or just leave it?

2. 8CoreWhore, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I leave mine at 2300 most of the time. If it's getting hot I crank it to where it's necessary under the conditions. I'm constantly changing it.

Heat kills battery health. I rather buy a new fan eventually than a new battery. And I don't want to be hot while holding my MBP.

But it won't necessarily kill the fan either. It's not hard to replace the fan though... maybe $40 for the part. But heat kills laptops.

Let it rip.

If you have 2 fans, use iStat Pro to see which one gets the most heat... then just up that fan.

3. c7aea macrumors regular

I would say that is pretty significant. I have been running my fans at a min of 3K for almost a year and Its pretty much always running 24/7 most computer fans run a lot faster then that. Im sure apple has them set so low because of noise. Microsoft did this with the original xbox 360 and it had major heat issues. My current 360 is much louder but I am ok with that if it means it will stay alive.

4. MacCrackAddict thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the quick replies,

ive taken your advice and set them to 3k standard and it gives me a 44 degrees CPU and is pretty quite so thanks :)

5. c7aea macrumors regular

Thats a good 20% temp reduction