HomePod Controlling HomePod with iPhone/iPad?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by jmeas, Feb 9, 2018.

1. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

I know that you can Airplay songs to a HomePod, but what I am wondering is if you can control content on the HomePod using an iOS device. You know, sort of like the old Remote app that let you control a Mac’s iTunes from an iOS device.

The reason I ask is because I prefer visually browsing my playlists on my phone before finding a song that I want to hear. It’d be cool if I could click a song, and it would act as a command to the HomePod to play it.

I understand that Airplay has some lag, and it probably drains the battery of the iOS device, which is why I’m less interested in using that as a workaround.

Thanks for reading!

2. Allewsive macrumors member

Allewsive

As for doing what you want, it simply is not possible yet without using Airplay. You can, however, use the audio selection in control center to control any device on your iCloud Account playing music, but this is just for volume and next/play/pause.

3. pinkoos macrumors 6502a

Yes you can do what you are asking. I was wondering about the same thing. Reached out to a few tech journalists via Twitter who had review units and they confirmed what the HomePod User Guide eventually confirmed and what I confirmed today on my own HomePod. See here:

http://help.apple.com/homepod/#/apda0881f90d

4. bucksaddle macrumors 6502

This should be possible now with the new device selection built into the Music app and control centre. If you open the music app, select the device from the AirPlay icon (don’t actually AirPlay from your iOS device but select the other device) and then come back to the music app it is if you are now browsing your music library for the device selected. When you select a song it will start playing on the selected device, not your iOS device.
    This is certainly true of how it works with Apple TV’s so shouldn’t be any different for HomePod. Mines coming later today to test but should work the same.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2018 ---
    Yep, pinkoos just beat me to it. Better instructions than mine :)

5. firewire9000 macrumors 6502

Thank you! That’s what I’m looking for.

6. BillGates1969 macrumors 6502

BillGates1969

What's more, if you use your iPhone to select the HomePod in the music app or control centre, the now playing is on your Apple Watch if you have one!

Works really well.

7. OutGolfn macrumors regular

OutGolfn

Thanks for the tip I was wondering about this as well. Works well

8. legacyb4 macrumors 6502a

Love that you can use Music as a controller app (like using the Sonos app) but it's the same interface you use if you are playing music on your iPhone.

9. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

After using Siri to tell HomePod to play an album, is it possible to see the current and upcoming track info on my iPhone? Or to adjust the Homepod volume on my iPhone? Note I’m not using airplay to stream music from my iPhone to HomePod. Rather, I’m using siri to play music on HomePod directly. And of course, I’m using Apple Music for all this.