Controlling iphone with ipad or vice versa

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by volntitan, Mar 18, 2011.

1. volntitan macrumors 6502

(realized I posted this in the wrong forum)

OK...here is what I would love to do. I hook my iphone up to my outdoor stereo system so we can listen to music on the deck. Problem is the receiver is in the house. What I was wondering is if there was an app that would allow me to control the iphone from my ipad. Example...listing to Pandora/SiriusXM App/music on the iphone and I want to skip a song or change a station. Right now I have to get up and go inside to do it. Would love to have the ipad with me and be able to do that remotely. If it worked better vice versa, iphone controlling ipad, then that would be fine.

Any suggestions?

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Not without jailbreaking.

If your iPhone is jailbroken you can run a VNC server, then on your iPad download a VNC client from the app store. Your iPhone's display will appear on the iPad and allow to manipulate it. The home and power keys on the iPhone will be mapped to middle and right click, which will appear as buttons on the iPad's VNC client app. The framerate will be a bit choppy (only a few FPS), but it sounds usable for your needs (as long as there's not too much scrolling involved :p).

3. gerlitzappel macrumors regular

AirPlay

My suggestion would require investing in an Airport Express or AppleTV, which both can play music through your stereo or TV from an iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad using AirPlay. Just last night I was playing Pandora through my stereo via my Airport Express from my iPhone, very cool!