Controlling iPod Touch from my computer?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by EtienneP, May 7, 2008.

1. EtienneP macrumors member

Is there a way that I could wirelessly control the music playing from my iPod Touch when it's playing in my Bose sound dock?

It gets a little pointless to have to get up and change the music. The remote that came with it is out of batteries.

I guess I'm looking for a reverse TouchPad or something like it...

2. TimJim macrumors 6502a

The only way i see is to get new batteries for your remote control.

3. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

4. m005e macrumors newbie

5. klax89 macrumors newbie

I could use this information, it would be nice to use my ipod touch as a sort of "wireless receiver" so I could wirelessly control my music when I'm on my computer. Kind of like Airtunes without another computer.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I have to say this is a giggler of a thread, someone posting asking for an alternative cause they cant be bothered getting more batteries for a remote

7. magicdanw macrumors newbie

Hey! Where do you think innovation comes from? Necessity? Psshhh. ;)

8. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

by the time you find your answer your better off just go buying batteries. seriously how hard is that?

9. magicdanw macrumors newbie

To be honest, I don't think it's such a bad idea. I plan on learning programming for my new iPod Touch, so when I do 'ok make this one of my first projects! :)

10. Chromako macrumors member

Well... using server daemons has worked (AFPd) with the Touch has worked, and there are multiple VNC clients that let you remote control your computer from the Touch... Now we just need the VNC Server Daemon... Should be possible. I'm sure someone has done it? Best of luck!

11. Chromako macrumors member

Well... using server daemons has worked (AFPd) with the Touch, and there are multiple VNC clients that let you remote control your computer from the Touch... Now we just need the VNC Server Daemon... Should be possible. I'm sure someone has done it? Best of luck!

Now what are you doing with a Bose product? That's the real question... :p

12. magicdanw macrumors newbie

That's not necessary. I'm starting to work on this project (learning the iPod API as I go along) and all that's necessary is a computer program that sends a few commands over Wifi, and an iPod program that receives the commands and changes tracks, pauses, etc. in response. VNC is way to complicated for a simple music remote.

Also, I might find this useful, since my iPod speaker setup (an RCA alarmclock-radio) has no remote, but I use it to play my iPod often.

13. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

Good luck on this project... I'll definatly install if you ever release :D