Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amakh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
I have a Macbook Pro connected to a Dell display via a Mini-Displayport to display port cable. I was previously able to control the brightness of the laptop display from my old keyboard from a Mac G4. One day, possibly when I installed a minor System update, I could no longer control the brightness. I was increasing the brightness by pressing F15 and decreasing the brightness by pressing F14. I bought a new Apple wired keyboard with dedicated brightness control buttons on F1 and F2, but I assume these only work with the Apple Cinema Displays. I also tried the old F14 and F15 keys, but those did not work either. In additon, I cannot find any way to add these commands in the keyboard shortcut menu. Does anyone know if this is still possible with the most updated version of OS X (10.6.7)?

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
The brightness buttons (F1 & F2) on my MBP only control the brightness of the internal monitor - not the external. This is true using both the built in and an external BT keyboard. Also, if I go to preferences->displays the display setup on the external does not have the brightness slider that exists on the same window on the laptop display.

amakh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
I am not interested in changing the brightness of the external monitor. The only way to do that is through its own OSD. I used to be able to change the brightness of the laptop monitor when it is connected to the external monitor, but I no longer have this functionality.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Oops, misread your post. Works for me with 10.6.7. Can you still adjust your brightness from the laptop's keyboard?

One thing to check is if you have alternate function keys turned on. Go to preferences->keyboard and see if the "Use all F1, F2..." checkbox is checked.

amakh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
The F1 and F2 brightness controls on the laptop work fine all the time, and I tried it with both with the check box checked and unchecked.

amakh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
I want to change the brightness with the external apple keyboard.

amakh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
Unfortunately, no. Then again, I have not researched it any further.

maxswisher

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2011
California
I don't know if there's any chance of doing this with the keyboard. However, there are many handy menubar apps that have brightness sliders. Look around for one and see if it works.

Mark Tomory

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
The brightness keys on the external keyboard will only work if you have the built-in monitor configured as the main monitor -- i.e., the menu bar and dock have to be on it.

I think this must be a bug. Third-party software fixes might exist, I don't know.

shirtle

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
I have a Macbook Pro connected to a Dell display via a Mini-Displayport to display port cable. I was previously able to control the brightness of the laptop display from my old keyboard from a Mac G4. One day, possibly when I installed a minor System update, I could no longer control the brightness. I was increasing the brightness by pressing F15 and decreasing the brightness by pressing F14. I bought a new Apple wired keyboard with dedicated brightness control buttons on F1 and F2, but I assume these only work with the Apple Cinema Displays. I also tried the old F14 and F15 keys, but those did not work either. In additon, I cannot find any way to add these commands in the keyboard shortcut menu. Does anyone know if this is still possible with the most updated version of OS X (10.6.7)?
Same thing happened to me recently, I don’t know how. But in systems preferences open keyboard, go to shortcuts there and click on display. Click on increase brightness then tab and press the key (F15 or F1 or whatever) you want to use for this function. Do the same with the decrease brightness. That’s it.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I am not interested in changing the brightness of the external monitor. The only way to do that is through its own OSD. I used to be able to change the brightness of the laptop monitor when it is connected to the external monitor, but I no longer have this functionality.

Use BetterTouchTool to map keys on your third party keyboard to control brightness. I remapped my keyboard function keys to control stuff like brightness, volume, play/pause, screen saver, log out, etc.

Also use MonitorControl to control third party screen brightness via those same keys. These two apps combined give you a perfect third party monitor + keyboard experience. No need to ever enter the monitor's OSD again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.