Controlling MAc Pro fans

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Washac, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

Is there any app out there that lets you control all the fans in a Mac Pro ?

Thanks....

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

smc fan control. A quick search of the forums would have answered this question. When you need to know how to use it, a similar search will suffice. :)

3. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Tried the latest version 2.2.2 it only lets you control three fans :

ODD
    HDD
    CPU

Mac Pro has....

Exchaust
    Power supply
    BOOSTA
    PCI
    INTAKE

A quick search of the net would have told you this :p

4. BENI macrumors regular

BENI

I use "fan control" and it is really good - it is a simple pref pane with very good interface (and free). I would also look at getting "temperature monitor" as this helps you calibrate the fan speed right otherwise it is difficult to tell whether you need to have it higher or lower. don't have them too fast as this will wear out the motors faster. I would say that 48C - 68C was pretty normal depending on what kind of CPU you are using.

good luck:)

5. BENI macrumors regular

BENI

sorry I didn't register this post.

I would still say that it was useful to control 3 - it can't hurt and I don't know of anything better.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Then fan control it is ... I believe.
    I guess I just never wanted to mess with my fans in my MP that much.

7. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, but that's not how it works. Several of the fans are tied to each other and can NOT be controlled individually. FanControl is currently broken and doesn't work properly. The developer is somewhat of a beginning and has been asking for help here at MR. Nothing wrong with being a beginner nor admitting it and asking for help! I hope someone with the experience to pull it off responds to him. We'll then have another good tool to choose from. So, anyway, here's a graphing of how the fans are interlocked amongst themselves:

[​IMG]

I used scmFanControl to set the minimum speed of the fans which is all either of these two programs do, and then recorded the all of the speeds of all fans. I noted in the graph the minimum speed I set them to so you can see the correlation with the other fans in the system.

8. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Thanks for this, interesting the way the fans follow each other........

9. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

I use the smc fan control. You can control the fans that you have on your computer using this programs.

10. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yup! Me too! smcFanControl works the best. The trick is to create a set of presets and use the menu bar.

11. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

What are some of your presets? I am guessing perhaps you have one for fast faster and fastest fan settings??

12. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I'd have to look at the prefs and type them in but I wrote this:

CPU sensor (averaged is fine) 00c ~ 30c = 500. ~ 1200 RPM on the CPU Fan.
    CPU sensor (averaged is fine) 30c ~ 40c = 1200 ~ 1800 RPM on the CPU Fan.
    CPU sensor (averaged is fine) 40c ~ 50c = 1800 ~ 2200 RPM on the CPU Fan.
    CPU sensor (averaged is fine) 50c ~ 70c = 2200 ~ 3000 RPM on the CPU Fan.

HDD sensor (averaged is not fine) 00c ~ 25c = 500. ~ 1200 RPM on the CPU Fan.
    HDD sensor (averaged is not fine) 25c ~ 30c = 1200 ~ 1800 RPM on the CPU Fan.
    HDD sensor (averaged is not fine) 30c ~ 35c = 1800 ~ 2100 RPM on the CPU Fan.
    HDD sensor (averaged is not fine) 35c ~ 40c = 2100 ~ 2500 RPM on the CPU Fan.
    HDD sensor (averaged is not fine) 40c ~ 45c = 2500 ~ 2800 RPM on the CPU Fan.
    HDD sensor (averaged is not fine) 45c ~ 50c = 2800 ~ 3000 RPM on the CPU Fan.
    PCIe temperatures should also be considered and the hottest wins precedence as
    the PCIe fans are the same ones responsible for the HDDs.

And then something similar but different for case ambience on the "Rear" and PSU
    on the PSU fans.

In another thread on a similar topic. Here's the thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=253965&page=6