Controlling My (non-CEC) HDMI TV w/ Siri Remote

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Caliber26, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I have an older LCD TV that has a non-CEC HDMI port and I can't figure out how to use my new TV's remote to power it on/off as well as control the volume.

When I go to settings and try to turn on the "Turn On Your TV w/ Your Remote" feature it says I can't use System Control with this configuration. I'm not sure what configuration I need? Or is this message coming up because my TV doesn't have CEC?

Is there a way to program the Siri Remote to control my LCD TV's power and volume? Everything I've tried to look up in this forum and other places is so confusing and doesn't quite address my specific issue.

2. Kja201313 macrumors newbie

It's my understanding that older televisions that do not have CEC, the Siri remote will not operate the tv.
    I don't understand the difference to be honest.

Best of luck and I hope I am wrong for your sakes.

3. jljue macrumors regular

Actually, you can go into settings on the AppleTV to setup the remote to control a TV's volume via IR. I honestly thought that my old Vizio Plasma was being controlled by IR until it died and we broke the newer HDMI cable in the wall changing TV's and found out that the older HDMI cable (installed in 2007) didn't support CEC. I discovered the IR setup just digging around settings.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68030

Siri Remote can only control volume over IR. Not the power.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205225

What you can do, though, is to have aTV learn the commands of your TV's remote.

5. Caliber26 thread starter macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Thanks! I thought there would maybe be a way of programming it like you would any other cheap universal remote. I did try the learning a new device option but it's not controlling my volume at all. And since this TV is so old, the OEM remote is completely dead and I can't access my menu options (which weren't many to begin with) to check if there's that tiny possibility of it having CEC option. Doubtful, though. Might be time for me to finally breakdown and buy a new one. :)