Controlling phone apps

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kvizzel, Nov 15, 2015.

1. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Can the apple watch control the iPhone netflix app? I like to have my phone plugged into my tv and lay down in bed while watching netflix. It would be awesome to be able to control the app from the phone instead of getting up every now and then to switch movies.

2. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

Unfortunately, Netflix appears to be down right now so I can't 100% confirm, but I believe it should work. I just tested with Amazon and it works. I can control volume, pause/play, and fast forward 10 or rewind 10. These are the same controls in the Amazon app. This is done by the player control that is inherent in iOS and not because of any app added. So if you can scroll up from the bottom of the screen on your iPhone and control Netflix, then you can control it from the watch.

You get to these controls via a glance on the watch. I keep this glance as one of the first in the list because I use it to control music on my iPhone when listening via headphones connected to my iPhone. If you are on the watch main view, you just scroll up and you are at the controller. Works great.

3. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

OK, figured out Netflix was confused because I just got back from Paris and it still thought I was out of the US. I killed WiFi and it solved it. The Netflix app doesn't behave as well as Amazon. You can pause/play from the watch, but that's it. The FF and RW functions don't seem to work at all when playing Netflix. Looks like Netflix didn't design it very well because Amazon can't be a fan of Apple but theirs works very well.

4. kvizzel thread starter macrumors 6502a