Controlling the fans of MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by panurge, May 31, 2007.

1. panurge macrumors newbie

I think I've messed up the fan speeds of my MacBook. I can't change the values anymore by smcFanControl. It stays at 2500 rpm no matter what I enter in the field.

Here's what I've done:
    1. First I installed smcFanControl 1.23, which worked nice.
    2. After a while I discovored Fan Control, which turned out to be a really confusing program. There weren't any documents in the installation package and I couldn't find any help from the program's home page. It took quite a while to realize where it even installed itself (i.e. in System Preferences)
    3. Because Fan Control was such a disappointment, I decided to go back to smcFanControl. At least it's so simple you can't go wrong with it. Though now I found out that there's a 2.x.x version too. So I installed it, and found it to be too restricted. You can't enter RPM values anymore, you have to save preset options. So I changed back to 1.23.

However smcFanControl doesn't work anymore. When I enter and apply new RPM values, the fans don't co-operate. I suppose this has something to do with Fan Control. I haven't found out how to uninstall it though. Any help?

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

If you want to remove the Fan Control, right click on the icon in the System Preferences and choose 'Remove Fan Control'. That should get rid of the old program.

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

4. panurge thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that worked. I also removed /Library/Preferences/com.lobotomo.MacProFan.plist.

Yet smcFanControl still doesn't work. If the fan is originally let's say at 1800 rpm, and I change it to 4000 rpm with smcFanControl, the fan starts to speed up... but it reaches just about 3700 rpm and then falls back to the original 1800 rpm. So what keeps tuning it down?

Spotlight found this:
    /Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon/FanControlDaemon: Mach-O executable i386
    Is that Apple's program or what is it?

I just can't figure what keeps overriding my smcFanControl settings?

5. panurge thread starter macrumors newbie

I finally found the uninstalling instructions to Fan Control:

Problem solved.

6. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

i just want to add how i did it.

I installed 'imac fan control' (similiar to 'fan control')

1. delete smcfancontrol (if you already have this installed.)
    2. delete imac fan control' or 'fan control' as described, deleting the daemon + pref. pane in the library folder
    3. restart. now empty the trash can (that couldn't be deleted because files were being used). restart again.
    4. after a clean restart. once at the desktop, do a SMC reset. you'll hear a long beep that'll confirm.
    5. do a PRAM reset as you boot up. do this atleast twice. For a total of 3 startup beeps.
    6. confirm with istat widget that fans follows factory setting rpms.
    7. download and install smcfancontrol
    8. confirm with istat

my contribution to stress free, headache free fan control