Controlling what Apps start at boot-up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by komatsu, Mar 16, 2016.

1. komatsu macrumors 6502

re: System Prefs -> Users -> Login Items

Reading in a book here that says "a check alongside an entry in the list has no bearing on whether it starts at login. The checkbox merely controls whether the program starts hidden"

I always believed that "unchecking" a program here prevented it from running automatically in background?

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

No the book is correct, which is why the header for the checkboxes says "Hide" (Or equivalent, I am not on an english system).

3. komatsu thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks, so how do you stop a troublesome from running in the background?

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

5. komatsu thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, lets say you have a trial version of Microsoft Office which you no longer want or need. However, dialogue boxes for MS Office keep on popping up...is this where the "login items" select / deselect become useful?

6. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Not really, you would remove things from the login items like say Messages was starting up with the computer. It would be in that list. Checking the box will only hide the app, but it will still start. The only way to remove it from startup on login would be to use the minus button which appears when the given app is selected.

If you have a trial version of Office, I would either upgrade or just remove it from my system entirely.

7. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

Click it in that pane and then click the minus button