Controlling Windows on my Mac with a PS3 controller?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Munchyhammer, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Munchyhammer, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

Munchyhammer macrumors member

Hello,

I recently got my PS3 controller hooked up to my iMac with a nifty application named 'Gamepad Companion', allowing me to play my favourite games (browser MMOS/applications) with my physical impairment.

However, I have failed to locate an equivalent for Windows in Boot Camp, which I had set up earlier today after rediscovering Steam, most games on which tickle my fancy yet aren't available on the Mac platform. MotionJoy disables bluetooth (needed for the Apple keyboard I use) and Xpadder refuses to recognise my key presses in the first place.

I was wondering if there was a similar application to 'Gamepad Companion' for the Mac as that particular application is neither clunky nor complicated.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

...Please? This sort of impairs my ability to play any PC game whatsoever.

2. Chaggi macrumors member

I use MotioninJoy to connect my PS3 controller to my Bootcamp'd Windows. Works perfectly once you set it up and calibrate it.

3. Munchyhammer thread starter macrumors member

How does it not disconnect your bluetooth? My keyboard refuses to work when I install the driver. Thanks.

4. Chaggi macrumors member

Are you using a USB to connect it? cause mine does nothing of the sort

5. Munchyhammer thread starter macrumors member

Yes I am. It can go wireless, though. Sorry, on holiday at the moment. I'll try that when I get back, although I'd much rather run it off USB for battery concerns.

6. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

motion joy works via usb also, I never even botherd with the bluetooth junk,

Could not get it to work.

7. TroutDeep macrumors newbie

As someone mentioned, you can use MotionJoy via USB.

MotionJoy is a bit picky with Bluetooth, however. I didn't have any luck getting it to work with my 2010 MBP or 2012 MBPr using their built-in Bluetooth chips, but it's working perfectly with an external USB Bluetooth dongle. This particular dongle is a Trendnet TBW-105UB (Rev. A1.0R) that I purchased several years ago.

MotionJoy lists compatible Bluetooth dongles here:

http://www.motioninjoy.com/wiki/en/help/btcompatibility

Two things to note:

- If you're using PS3 controller with a Bluetooth dongle under Bootcamp and the built-in Bluetooth chip under OS X, you'll need to re-pair the PS3 controller each time you switch. I don't recall if the Bluetooth dongle works under OS X, but that would obviously save you from having to re-pair each time since the pairing is between the Bluetooth chip and the controller; it is OS-independent.

- When using MotionJoy under Bootcamp, be sure to select the XBox 360 controller emulation profile. This seems to be the de facto standard on Windows, and every game that I've tried has a profile that supports this mapping.

Hope that helps.

8. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Not a fix, but just wanted to add that you can pick up a wired xbox 360 controller for $25 on Amazon. It works perfectly with most games and even downloads the drivers automatically when you plug it in.

9. shervinvan macrumors member

This might be a dumb solution, but you can always pick up a cheap $10 USB wired keyboard if your bluetooth keyboard does not work:D

10. Munchyhammer, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

Munchyhammer thread starter macrumors member

So, by plugging it in, selecting the Xbox controller profile, and mapping buttons, without loading bluetooth drivers should work? Also, yeah, I had a USB keyboard lying around but haven't got home yet to test anything.

Thanks.

Edit: Still not being detected, and there is no 'load usb driver' option as other tutorials have suggested. Help? It's not the controller, detected by the Mac program fine. Help, please?

EDIT 2: Fixed, thanks.